Power Adapters are so overpriced

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WorldIRC, Sep 9, 2014.

1. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

Just putting it out there; I'd like a 2nd Magsafe 2 Power Adapter...darn thing is like $90.

2. EOB macrumors regular

yea they are, and they are **** too. I just bought a mid-2014 rmbp15 and the charger died within 3 weeks of use. I even have it connected to a surge protector and dont take it with me anywhere.
    So far it has only been 1 week of use on the new one, lets see how long this one goes, lol.

The one thing I have noticed over the years of owning apple products, is that any charger/wire that apple makes goes bad really fast.

3. Kaenon macrumors regular

4. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

Totally agree. It's just the crazy Apple iTax I guess :/

5. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

MagSafe 2 cost right around the same price as any OEM laptop AC power adapter. I have an HP laptop and spent $119 for a second HP slim AC power adapter.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

You can always get a $10 knock off

You can always buy a $10 dollar copy from china on amazon, it may burn your house down but you can do that if you like.

7. killwilly macrumors newbie

I bought my MBP retina in August 2013 and last week my MagSafe 2 decided to stop working. I checked the 3amp fuse on the plug and found that it had blown, I replaced the fuse with a new one and that also blew. I contacted Apple CS, who have agreed to send me a new charger, but that was only because I had the extended warranty. Even then I had to give them a credit card number for the cost of a new charger and was told if I failed to return the old charger within ten days, I would be charged for the replacement.

I should add that I never use my machine whilst the charger is connected. I charge it fully, run it down to about 15% and then recharge.

I find this kind of attitude unacceptable and shall think twice in the future before buying Apple.

8. WorldIRC thread starter macrumors 6502

If I lived in the US, I'd be on top of it since shipping is free. Unfortunately, once I factor in shipping and currency conversion to Canada, the discount is gone.

----------

I came from a Lenovo W520. The AC Adapter was huge (170 watt) but quality was never a concern.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

Don't know from where in Canada you are but I'm in Québec. (5% federal tax, 9,75% provincial tax)

The 85W Magsafe for my computer is $89.00 directly from Apple. Add taxes and it comes in at: $102.56

Whereas with today's exchange rate and the cheapest shipping OWC offers, the same magsafe comes in at: $83.34

That's a $19.22 discount for me.

10. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Damn there are times when I thank God I live in the US. It seems like it's impossible to get on good discount on anything any where else in the world, especially Europe with it's VAT gouging.

11. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Grab another one off craigslist. I got another one for like $40. Not bad at all.

12. WorldIRC thread starter macrumors 6502

Slim pickings for original unfortunately

13. 5to1 macrumors 6502

Nothing new there, haven't used any product where the manufacturer didn't charge a silly amount for a charger/adapter. The only difference is since Apple use the proprietary mag safe connector there are limited ways around it. It's either pay Apple or buy a knock off from the regions/sellers that don't give a hoot about copying a proprietary connector. Not too sure I trust that type of company/seller with something that draws that much power and sits charging unattended for extended periods :(

Fortunately I've never had a problem with any of their chargers (hopefully I'm not tempting fate), while the mag safe limits third party options it also does its job in preventing the main cause of chargers breaking on me (cable being caught/yanked).

14. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Europe has to pay for their social utopia somehow though. Not knocking it, just saying. ;)

15. SarcasticJoe Suspended

SarcasticJoe

As somebody born and living in Europe I'd much rather have free higher education (i.e who gets accepted into various programs is based on aptitude, not what their parents can afford), health care (i.e you don't die because of a treatable injury/condition after your employer reduced your hours to the point where they don't need to give you health insurance), properly funded schools (i.e schools in poor areas don't have less resources, even per student, than schools in more affluent areas) and police that doesn't shoot non-whites on sight rather than missing out on some deals...

16. WorldIRC thread starter macrumors 6502

Living in Canada, I had to pay for my higher education, but it was heavily subsidized by the government. Everything else, love it!

17. WorldIRC thread starter macrumors 6502