Power Adapters

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by Bob Chadwick, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Bob Chadwick macrumors member

Has anyone purchased one of the adapters that allows the 2nd Generation Touch to charge on some of the older accessories? I understand that there are three alternatives out there, though only one appears to be shipping (Cablejive) and two of them may be the same unit (CableJive/Ridax).

passPORT, CableJive and Ridax.

People had raised concerns earlier about whether or not they are using a resistor, which would allow variable voltage in a car depending on what voltage the amp was putting, or a voltage regulator, which would allow for constant voltage.

2. pkagel macrumors regular

Does one of those allow me to play my 3G at the same time? I have an adapter for my car that works great with my old 1G Touch but won't charge my 3G iPhone. I didn't know about the charging issue when I bought the phone. It really wouldn't be a problem except that I have the volume turned up so high that I miss the calls.

3. Bob Chadwick thread starter macrumors member

They are power adapters that allows for charging of the new IPODs/IPhones with the old charging equipment.

4. GT41 macrumors regular

I don't know if they would use transistors or not, but it shouldn't be an issue in any case, if it doesn't use a transistor you will be running at a slightly higher voltage which would result in slight heating (This has been around since the first change from FW to USB-only iPods). Basically any of these adaptors are for switching the leads from the FW power pins to the USB power pins. The device should otherwise work fine while charging because all the other leads should just connect straight through. This whole thing came about because Apple could save themselves a few hundreths of cents by removing two wires and 4 solder points from each iPod.