Power and charging issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nicklay, May 26, 2014.

1. nicklay macrumors newbie

Hi everybody, my macbook pro won't charge or keep his charge. Sometimes when connected it won't charge (kept it at 0%) and when he want to, he charges to like 14-15% and then discharge itself even if he's connected. Sometime it completely shutdown while he's connected.

Things I tried:
    -Replacing the MagSafe
    -2 different power cord (a 65w and a 80w)
    -Resetting the SMC
    -Checked the battery with a software which detect it goods

Still nothing, any advice or idea ?
    Thank you

2. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

Please provide the year/model of your MBP. BTW, just because the software says the battery is 'good' doesn't mean that is is actually in working order. If the MBP works with the MagSafe connected but doesn't with running on just the battery, well this smells of
    a battery problem.

3. nicklay thread starter macrumors newbie

It's an 15inch mid-2010 macbook pro, when the battery is over 0% it works flawless on the battery until it reaches 0

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You shouldn't be letting it drain down to 0%. You should plug it in before it gets that low.

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

5. nicklay, May 26, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2014

nicklay thread starter macrumors newbie

Power and charging issue

Well even plugged, as I said, it reaches 0, i have read all the document about the battery faq and couldn't find a satisfying answer i wouldn't be here if I had found one

And now I dont have the choice to use it plugged in or it won't light except if the battery get over 0 but it never gets higher than 15%

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is no way to know what you have and haven't read, unless you mention it. Take it to Apple and let them run tests to determine the problem.

7. nicklay thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, if I'm here is because I don't want to pay them overpriced rates for nothing, I am by myself a computer technician but don't work with mac and I'm here for help, if you cannot help me it's ok but maybe some can help. I'm not mad at you or anything but this don't help me here is a picture of coconut battery

[​IMG]

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple won't charge you to run tests and diagnose the problem. Some things can't be resolved in a forum.

9. nicklay thread starter macrumors newbie

Since the product isn't under warranty I'm pretty sure they'll charge but what I wanted was help like things to try or anything but ok if your answer is to go there I'll do one hour of road to have an answer i'm pretty sure i could get over the web and waste a lot of times but i'm sure there's thing I can try

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They don't charge to run basic tests and to tell you what the problem is, even if there's no warranty. That can be done without opening your Mac. You've already done the preliminary things that would resolve it if it was something other than a hardware issue.

11. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You did say that you replaced the MagSafe...
    Some folks use that term for a couple of different items.
    Do you mean the power adapter, or the (internal) MagSafe board?

If you are already having power problems, then the 60-watt magsafe isn't going to give you reliable help. Stay with 85-watt, if possible, and try a different one.

Are you getting a pattern of LEDs on the battery test button, when the battery randomly stops charging, such as LED racing back and forth, or flashing all 5 LEDs? That could indicate that the battery is ready to be replaced. Be sure to check the Power tab in your System Information. CoconutBattery is a pretty good product, but you should check to see what your own system reports, too.

Have you tried reseating the battery cable?

12. nicklay thread starter macrumors newbie

The internal magsafe connecter sorry for wasn't precise. But the battery if I press the little butto only the first one flash, like he's empty. I'll test with another 85 watt and brb with results, if you say they can test for free I'll go and check em when I'll go there as i said it's far away from me could worth the mvoe

13. nicklay thread starter macrumors newbie

I did another test today, I've cleaned the battery plug and reseated it. The mbp started charging. I watched it with coconutBattery and noticed that the charging wattage was keep lowering, from 60 to like 3 watts (27%).

Is these data can give any idea to somebody about the problem ?

14. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I too think your battery is screwed but no-one can tell much more without access to the machine. I think you are stuck with having to take it for diagnosis or risking ordering and fitting a new battery yourself.

15. nicklay thread starter macrumors newbie