Power Book G4 not booting.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by a.mcnamara, Jul 21, 2009.

1. a.mcnamara macrumors newbie

Hi, I have been lucky enough to have been given Power Book G4 to use if I can get it working. At the moment if you turn it on then it just gets the face and a question mark.

I can access the openfirmware mode and can view the HD and CD etc. I tried to boot with a SUSE 11.0 linux installation cd (happened to have one) but that was not happening so I guess I have to use a Mac OS. I shall see if the people who gave me the computer have a MAC boot CD knocking about. If not what type do I need? Is there an alternative to booting from a CD? Are there some checks I can make to ensure it is the OS which is broken not some component of the computer itself. These could be a lot of stupid questions. Please forgive me... I am excitedly trying to sort it out and may find some answers myself by tomorrow anyhow.

Many thanks

Adam

2. celticpride678

Well, the only way to test hardware in a Apple Computer is using the Apple Hardware Test CD (Application DVD is the name). It sounds like either the OS or a failing/failed hard drive.