Power Book G4 Still Worth While?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SirWilliam, Sep 5, 2008.

1. SirWilliam macrumors newbie

Hi All,

This is my first post to the forum. I have never owned a Mac before but my company is about to get rid of a couple old Powerbook G4s...not entirely sure of the specs...I know they have a freshly formatted 160gb HDDs with OSX something or other and 2gb of RAM...anyway I can get one for next to nothing if I want it.

I have always wanted to own a Mac but have never been able to justify the price until possibly now...

Could an old G4 Powerbook be used as an everyday computer and do they still make software to support these old machines?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. kalex macrumors 65816

Depends what models they are getting rid of. you want to be as close to the latest models as possible. All powerbooks perform better with Tiger than they do with Leopard. by that i mean that Tiger runs better on older hardware. as far as apps go, most of the apps are universal, meaning they run on PowerPC and Intel so you should be fine.

If you want to use it for email, browsing they will be fine. anything more demanding and its going to be tough but doable.

3. California macrumors 68040

California

Yes, grab one and sell me the other.

With two gigs of ram and a bigger hard drive, they were doing the right thing by the old Powerbooks.

Get it if it's cheap. The maxed ram will make it great for Leopard.

4. weing macrumors regular

Buy it. Macs give you a incredible amount of longevity. They will have to be prying my 12" aluminum powerbook out of my cold ,dead hands!

For that matter I still have a 8! year old lime green iBook that comfortably runs Tiger with 512mb of Ram.
    You probably won't hit the wall for a few years unless you are obsessed with the fashion of being the first-est with the newest.

5. strikeinsilence macrumors 6502

6. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

7. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

8. Solo13 macrumors newbie

I'd be all over it/them!
    I reckon Leopard seems snappier on mine than Tiger did, but I upped the HD at around the same time. With that much RAM, you'll be fine.
    DO IT!

9. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

You could always buy them and resell them. Use that money to buy an intel-based Mac. Those are more future-proof.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you can get me one next to nothing, I'll even pay S/H! :D

11. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Wow. Absolutely, yes. I mean, assuming it's not the original 450 or 500 MHz models, in which case no, they really wouldn't be great all-around machines. Anything 800 MHz or later I'd say, though (especially 1.25 GHz or better) would make an absolutely fine, fun email, web, word processing machine. You could do some photoshopping as well, as long as you're not intending to do any heavy editing, of course.

As for everyone saying they want you to send them one, ignore them.

Send one to me instead :D

(After all, I don't even have a Mac laptop)

12. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

If they are 12" models you are a lucky man. Get them regardless. I miss my 12" PB sooo much. The Air is nice but it still pales in comparison.

13. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

So true, I just bought a used 12 inch for internet and MS office on the road. It is fast (10.4.11) and very stable with 1.25GB Ram and 120GB HD. No HD (very jerky) capability but that's ok.

Cheers,

14. SirWilliam thread starter macrumors newbie

Sadly they are not the 12" models...they are the 15.4" models...and I do not think they could be more than 3 or 4 years old...I know I do not have all of the specs yet but what do you think they could be worth? I am guessing between $400-$600...

15. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

If they're later models, they could be worth more like between $600-800, actually..... and possibly as much as $1000 (though that would be high).

16. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Agreed :D

Attached Files:

• wr.jpg
      wr.jpg
      File size:
      120.6 KB
      Views:
  17. California macrumors 68040

California

Check the specs in the battery compartment and remember I HAD FIRST DIBS on one, too.

THANKS and let us know what you've got.

18. SirWilliam thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay so I have more specs...and apparently the first specs I gave you guys were wrong... So they have a 1.67ghz G4 processor, 80GB HHD, 1GB SDRAM, 64MB ATI Graphics card, DVD-R...there are some problems with two of the three so I have an appointment with Apple tomorrow to hopefully get them fixed assuming it does not cost a fortune. We are going to be putting the computers for sale on Craigslist in the Seattle region hopefully by Friday and they will all have a clean install of OSX Tiger...I am guessing based on what I saw on eBay that they will be around $550-$650.

19. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I would have bought them but since you told me there are a butt load of problems....

make sure you post a link though, i'd like to see.

20. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

21. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I know it's still $400, but for about $400 you can get a brand new MacBook with a dual-core processor and way more juice in it. I don't think the $1099 model has a DVD-RW, but that's about the only thing you would miss out on. There is a rumored price cut on the lowball model coming soon, but I can highly recommend going with the Intel processors due to how much ridiculously faster everything runs.

But if that $400 is a huge deal, the PowerBook should be OK. Those specs sound a lot like the Mini I had, and it was quite decent.

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just a heads up is the ones are ebay are mostly either in excellent condition and/or maxed out on specs to sell that well.

23. SirWilliam thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the one that works is in excellent condition...and I am pretty sure the other two are going to be sold as parts because I am sure Apple will charge a fortune for anything that needs to be replaced.

Well the ones that I saw that had sold for $675 and $690 had the exact same specs as the ones I have so I figure $600 on craigslist is probably a fair price.

24. California macrumors 68040

California

None of them have the 128 vram?

If any of them have lcd problems, let me know, I'd be interested in a headless PB.

25. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

if apple gives you an estimate but charges too much to fix - then you might want to check out ifixit.com. if i remember the 15" PBs are easier to get into then the 12-inchers. but of course, fixing it yourself may not be lucrative for you in the long run.