power book g4 upgrade to 10.5 problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ovenglove, Jan 13, 2011.

1. ovenglove macrumors newbie

I am and it tech at a uk university, and should really be able to come up with an answer but i am struggling with this one.

I have a powerbook g4 running os 10.4 that i want to upgrade to 10.5 to se time machine. I have checked and according to apple i should be able to run 10.5.

The problem is with the mac reading the install cd. Shen i restart holding c it doesn't read the cd and spits it out. When i start os, it also doesn't read the dvd and spits it out.

I have checked other dvds in the drive and it reads them. I have checked the 10.5 dvd in another g4 powerbook of the same spec and model and it works fine.

I have tried it in an external usb dvd drive on the mac and it will read the dvd in os, but not on startup, i thin because usb is loaded after os starts.

The dvd is the black one not the grey one if it makes any difference

anyone know of a way i can install 10.5 on this mac? or why it will not read the dvd?

cheers

2. ecg06 macrumors newbie

10.5 Install

Hi there, I think there might be a problem with USB itself, I have seen problems like this in PCs but not on Macs. One workaround I would recommend is try removing the hard drive and install it on another Powerbook of the same specs and install Leopard. Once its installed and working remove it and install back on its original Powerbook and things should work just fine. Let us know if it works for you and if you run into any trouble. :cool:

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Could be the disk. Try to clean it. You might need to borrow an external desktop DVD drive.

Macs have FIREWIRE boot mode. No need to remove harddrive.