power book hd failure

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by prsartist, Feb 23, 2008.

1. prsartist macrumors newbie

the HD on my G1.5GHZ power book is on its way out does anyone where i can get a replacement and what type i need

16 views ?

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

i aint a clue,but have you tried googling it?

edit:just tried it but not getting any results back,not for the way you wrote it anyway

Arnt they 2.5 IDE drives or SATA if so theres loads of places you can pick them up

Dont know what OS your on but dont it show what type it is in "about this Mac"

3. prsartist thread starter macrumors newbie

yes and it directs me to apple who do not list any for the powerbook and charge the earth for hd drives for the mac pro

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

5. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

It's pretty hard to change the HD on a powerbook.

If you don't have the skill or knowledge to find out what type of HD it needs without asking on here, then the best thing is to go to an Apple repair shop and ask them to replace it for you.

Expect to pay about $100 or more for the work involved in replacing the HD. That's on top of the cost of the actual new HD. Ask them to transfer the data over from the old HD as well. And make your own backup too, before you take in your laptop.

I'm not dissing you, it really is a hard job. I know lots about apple computers, but I wouldn't do it on my own on a good quality working 1.5ghz Powerbook.

There's lots of small computer shops that can repair apples - look for something that says Apple Certified Technician or something like that.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

You can use Carbon Copy Cloner (or SuperDuper) to clone your internal HD to your new HD.

The PowerBook series uses 2.5 inch 9.5mm IDE hard drives.

Suggest getting an Apple authorized repair place to replace it for you since it is rather difficult with a PowerBook.

7. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Ah, but how will the OP do that? It's a pretty safe guess he doesn't have an external caddy for the new HD, or doesn't know how to change the HD in a caddy.

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

You bring up a good point.

I would think that the OP will purchase an external HD enclosure for his old HD so he can use it.

I might be wrong. But an external enclosure is very inexpensive these days. External HD enclosures are a great way to continue to use your HD that once was your internal.

9. prsartist thread starter macrumors newbie

I will not be fitting the new hd myself i know an apple tech(overpriced no parts but competitive on repairs)

I am able to get a Hitachi Travelstar 160gb 2.5"PATA internal HD
    PATA(ATA-133)Interface
    2.5" 5400RPM 8mb buffer cache

cost £55

does this sound ok

10. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Should be ok, but check with the apple tech guy first.