Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crspechicn

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2011
Have troubleshooted switch-mode supplies before, noise is not always normal, especially in higher end devices like Apple power bricks. I have had several of these, and have never heard any noise emitted from any of them. While it is possible for switchers to make audible noise, I wouldn't think it is a normal thing in this case. I would take it in to Apple and see what they say.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
In the morning.

Hmmf, so much for the Book of Knowledge(TM) - "laminations of the coil".
It probably meant to say "laminations of the transformer" (in a typical flyback design).

Actually large valued ceramic caps also make noise (the ceramics are slightly peizoelectric), in the audible range. I've had 22uF units "sing" in the lab (6-11kHz), even with relatively minor voltages across them.

If it's normal? Well I have heard othewise good power supplies do this - but I've not noticed it from my 85W MBP PSU.

A lot of switch-mode supplies I've worked on had more inductors than transformers - and most of the high-frequency / current areas involved inductors. I'm willing to guess the Wiki article was likely referring to coils in general. You don't need an iron core or a second set of windings to generate sound, even had small air-core inductors generate audible ringing.

I've had non-ferrous metals, optical crystals and even liquids generate noise from electrical currents. Bearing in mind, none of these components were intended to generate acoustic noise in the first place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.