Power button broken, jailbroken phone update..

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Shelds, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Shelds macrumors newbie

Hello everyone

So my power button is broken. I took my phone apart and discovered that the flex cable had been worn out and so wasn't connecting with the power / lock switch. (yeah... i dont know how that happened either)

So anyways, Im currently on a jailbroken iOS3.0 on my 3G phone.
    I read somewhere that if you are already on a custom firmware and upgrade to another custom firmware (i would be using iOS 4.1 using the pwnage tool) that i wouldnt need to put my phone into DFU mode to complete the jailbreak process.

Can anyone confirm this?

Otherwise does absolutely ANYONE perhaps know of a way to put my phone into DFU without using the power / lock button?

My main reason for upgrading is due to app compatibility..

Thanks in advance for any replies!
    Shelds.
    :)

2. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

Have you tried simply plugging it into iTunes and upgrading to 4.1? You could try to restore to 4.0.1 using restore, redirecting signature to Cydia, but this would only work if your SHSH for 4.0.1 were saved to Cydia (if not, too late). But yes, you'll need to have a functional home button to jailbreak 4.1 because you do need to be in DFU.

You can try this old method:

Here's a link to download a DFU file:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/93fx93

1.) First download the required archive http://www.sendspace.com/file/93fx93

2.) Extract the archive to the root of your hard drive, should be C:/DFU/

3.) Connect your iPhone and ignore iTunes

4.) Goto Start – run

5.) Next type in “c:/dfu/dfu iBSS.m68ap.RELEASE.dfu”

6.) Wait for iPhone to show a “white” screen

7.) Now you may proceed to downgrade!

BTW, I have not tried this myself. I just took two minutes to do a Goole search and then another 30 seconds to verify the download link. Google is a wonderful site. Try it some time, you'll like it.

3. Shelds thread starter macrumors newbie

I have been googling... which is where i saw something about if you are on a custom firmware and upgrade you wouldnt need to go into DFU.

But that person wasnt 100% sure so i thought id ask here.

Also, i have seen that solution but i'm on a mac, not windows, sorry i forgot to mention it.

Thanks