Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CavemanMike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
A change for the better:

I used to miss the delete button and accidentally turn off my macbook pro 13" retina (very annoying).

Now, a mere press of the power button doesn't do that. In fact, it does nothing! (HOORAY!!!)

To turn off the macbook (which I never do with the power button): I press and hold it for 2 or 3 seconds and get sleep/off options.

1. When did that happen?
2. I presume this was intentional, and not that my power button is broken or anything :)
3. Is there any way to may a short press of the power button to do the same thing as DELETE? That would be cool !!

Thanks
Mike

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
A change for the better:

I used to miss the delete button and accidentally turn off my macbook pro 13" retina (very annoying).

Now, a mere press of the power button doesn't do that. In fact, it does nothing! (HOORAY!!!)

To turn off the macbook (which I never do with the power button): I press and hold it for 2 or 3 seconds and get sleep/off options.

1. When did that happen?
2. I presume this was intentional, and not that my power button is broken or anything :)
3. Is there any way to may a short press of the power button to do the same thing as DELETE? That would be cool !!

Thanks
Mike

I swear it's always been like this haha - N

CavemanMike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
U messing with me?

No way!!!

A single short press would turn off my macbook immediately!

Mike

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
No way!!!

A single short press would turn off my macbook immediately!

Mike

Mavericks changed the way the power buttons functions from what I noticed.

I prefer the old way. I had it set up so when the power button was pressed it would ask me what to do.

Now pressing the power buttons, just puts it to sleep and I have to hold it to shut down.

CavemanMike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
What!

Seriously:

Is my mac broken?

I've only had it a few months (never had mac before mavericks so I can't comment on that).

I distinctly remember a single quick press of the power button would put it to sleep. Now it takes 2 or 3 seconds to do so.

Is something wrong with my mac?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
It has always worked that way. A quick press for sleep, press and hold for shut down. (mac user since 2008)

CavemanMike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
Then mine is broken?

BTW, is everyone running 10.9.2? (I updated mine today). I presume that could not have affected that behavior.

Part of that update included a reboot, so it's not for lack of reboot.

Should I stop by the apple store with it?

I kinda like it this way, so I don't want to "fix it" and make it annoying.

BTW, why would they place the power button so close to the delete button?

Mike

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
It's to prevent people fromt accidentally turning off their computers. I've seen that happen quite often. People working on something, don't save, and then boom they turn it off by accident.

CavemanMike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
Thank you, I feel VALIDATED!!!

I was beginning to think I was loosing my mind!

I like this behavior (the power button that is) much better!!!

christarp

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2013
Same boat as OP, a quick press would instantly make my macbook sleep before 10.9.2, now i have to press it for about a second to get it to sleep. Glad they changed this.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
BTW, is everyone running 10.9.2? (I updated mine today). I presume that could not have affected that behavior.
Right you are, CavemanMike!
Since 10.9.2 a short press on power button does nothing. In 10.9.1 it did not switch the MBP off, but put it asleep (You could wake it by pressing any button).

CavemanMike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
I'm so happy!

I feel validated AND I like the new functionality.

Lastly: any way to map a quick press of the power button to DEL ?
(That might be handy since every time I miss and press the power button, that's what I'm trying to do!

Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.