power button fix

Sgtarky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
Benton, Arkansas
Does anyone think its possible to configure a key combo to act as a power button? the only unpleasant experience i have had with my mbp is the power button died. This is definitely a design flaw. Someone will probably say" you shouldn't spill your drink on it" well nothing has been spilled on it. The only thing I can think of is using windex to clean it, maybe it was enough to kill it. I could fix it but its quite a process I'd rather not do. It would be nice if apple created a firmware update that mapped the power button to something else if you have the issue.

556fmjoe

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2014
Did you spray Windex directly on the computer, or did you spray a small amount on a rag? If the former, then it's not a design flaw. Liquid could very easily seep in between the button and the case and short it. That's why you're supposed to spray it on a rag.

If the latter, it would take a lot of Windex.

Sgtarky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
Benton, Arkansas
well that's the only thing I can think of, no I didn't drench it. Maybe it just failed. fortunately I rarely need to power cycle it. I can't do smc resets. If I forget and leave it unplugged and unused for a few days the battery runs down and I can't power it on. I have to unhook the battery, plug power in and it fires up.