Power Button & Home Button Sometimes Acting Weird

Discussion in 'iPad' started by shakra00, Apr 10, 2012.

1. shakra00 macrumors member

Hey guys, I'm just wondering if some of your are also experiencing this (I'm using an iPad 3)

When my ipad is asleep, the 1st time I click the power button, it will not turn on like nothing happened, but in the 2nd time, it will now turn on. Same thing happens with the home button. Is this normal? It doesn't happen always but occasionally. I've already experienced it 3 times in 7 days.

Another thing is when i click the power button, it turns the screen on then off. Like the effect of double pressing it. Is this also normal?

THANKS!

2. shakra00 thread starter macrumors member

3. ewo1992 macrumors regular

ewo1992

Does the button make a soft click sound when you press it?

4. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

No it's not normal. My iPhone does this all the time but my iPad works perfectly. My iPhone has gotten worse, I'm just biding time til the iPhone 5.

5. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

when's the last time you power cycled your iPad (fully turned off and turned back on)?

My dads iPhone does some wonky stuff from time-to-time. He doesn't even KNOW HOW to turn it off. I had to explain it to him last time I was there troubleshooting stuff with his phone (and upgrading him to 5.1).

6. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Same here. iPad works flawlessly however my iPhone 4's home button acts up pretty much daily. Same as kdoug, just waiting for the new iPhone to come out and all should be good.

7. dell who? macrumors member

I'm curious how many apps you have running in the background at any given moment, and I'm also wondering how often you power the device off completely. I find what you're describing to be more of a delayed response as opposed to it not recognizing that you pushed the button at all.

All matters of troubleshooting aside, I would recommend a DFU mode restore to the product and then choosing to set it up as a new device. You'll need to sync all your content on the device (different from backup) and then re-sync when you're done, but it will definitely eliminate the possibility of the issue being software based. Helpful tip: going to an Apple store for support in these times will generally end off with them asking you to do this, so if you beat them to the punch it can potentially expedite getting the device swapped.