Power button no longe sleeps in Yose*****?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by steveOooo, Mar 3, 2015.

1. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

Have upgraded my 2010 MP from ML to Yosecrap and now the power button doesn't sleep the mac? Is this a exciting new 'feature' or am error or am I missing a setting somewhere?

Note, writing on my ipad because the wifi doesn't work on the worlds most advanced operating system....

2. illusionx macrumors 6502

Holding the power button will bring the shutdown/reboot/sleep dialogue. It's the same behaviour on an iOS device.

Also, 10.10.2 supposed to have fixed the wifi issue.

3. brentsg macrumors 68040

Holding down the power button on my 2010 MP just causes a hard shutdown, no dialog.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It didn't.

5. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

A similar thing happened on my 2012 iMac when I upgraded it to Yosemite. I could get the Mac to sleep by pressing harder, or by putting more pressure on the side of the button instead of in the middle. It would usually, but not always, work.

6. illusionx macrumors 6502

hold it 2-3 secs. holding it for more than 4 secs will cause a force shutdown.

7. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

No power button doesn't work at half sec/two secs - after three secs I get the dialogue. Dnt really want to risk force shutdown

In /about this mac/energy efficiency it states 'power button sleeps = yes'

So the options in about this mac but not in system prefs / energy saving

Perhaps a pram reset? Has anyone else got 'power button sleeps' in system prefs / energy efficiency?

8. ScottishCaptain macrumors 6502a

Oh that's just a brilliant feature. Over by one second and you lose, which is fantastic considering the remarkable (in)stability of HFS+ to handle such repeated events.

-SC

9. illusionx macrumors 6502

The use the apple menu -> sleep? Or the keyboard short cut for sleep.

My first macbook always had the power button as the popup menu for shutdown/reboot/sleep. The mini's power button was sleep. So I had to use the menu to accomplish what I had to do.
    It's now a habit, power button is strictly for power on the computer or force shutdown.