Power Button Not Working Properly After Latest Update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdwilliams761, Mar 2, 2014.

1. jdwilliams761 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

First post on here so sorry if I'm breaking any kind of unwritten etiquette by making a new thread for this issue. But yeah, ever since I updated to 10.9.2 my power button no longer immediately sleeps my Mac. It only works if I hold down ctrl + press the button.

As well as this, my Mac keeps randomly sleeping, prompting me to enter my password again. Is this happening to anybody else? Or is there a problem with what has been a very unreliable MBP 2012 model ever since I purchased it in October last year?

Eventual thanks!

2. Tora Shin macrumors newbie

My power button also does jack ****. My only other issue is the bookmarks bar of safari misbehaving in full screen, but I've had that for ages.

3. jdwilliams761 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know why I bother updating sometimes. Be great if someone could shed some light on this.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

It's part of the changes in the 10.9.2 update, you'll now need to hold it for about 1 second to sleep the Mac.

No idea why they changed this, but I've seen people on here complain they would hit the power button when trying to hit the delete key (don't know how one would manage that apart from really sucking at typing).

5. jdwilliams761 thread starter macrumors newbie

How is that even possible and why on earth would they change it to cater for a few typing morons needs? Better still, why don't they just make it user defined?!

Thanks for the replies though. Glad I don't have a fault with my Mac.

6. Tora Shin macrumors newbie

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm pretty sure it's because most people who sleep their computers shut the lids to do so.