Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApplePearGrapefruit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2023
I have a Mid-2012 MacBook Pro that doesn't want to power up with the power button. After I plugged it in, it automatically turned on and it works fine. However, I can't get it to shut down or turn on by holding the power button, no matter how long I hold it. Does the power button need to be replaced or are there some things I can try to salvage it?

DarkPremiumCho

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2023
Perform an SMC reset, and while doing so, observe whether the MagSafe light changes color. If it doesn't, it's highly probable that the power button is broken, and it needs to be repaired.

real_mon2

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2023
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Power the Axxx markings from the bottom side of the macbook pro so the logic board # can be found. Believe that we did a similar repair in the past few weeks. We too though the power button was defective yet other keys worked fine.

We validated the motherboard is capable of powering ON/OFF by shorting the PCB pads present on the actual logic board with tweezers. They are present on every logic board for techs to service the board.

Next we traced these same pads (there is one pair on each side of the PCB) are mated with the keyboard cable and is the last pin (extreme left side when viewing the cable). This pin is required to go to a logic LOW when the power button is pressed on/off. Otherwise, it will be a logic HIGH ('1') = ~3 volts.

This signal was not pulsing as we pressed the on/off button. Thinking again that the key only was defective.

Continued to trace the cable to the actual keyboard side (not the logic board side) and the same pin on the flex cable was pulsing as we pressed the on/off button.

Summary - the interface cable (available as a spare part from many shops - including Mobile Sentrix / Aliexpress - asia) was defective and had to be replaced. The trackpad does play a role in this defect from the sharp bends.

Your case should be very similar to this one. The cable is $5 or less to replace. You will need a special screwdriver set to open your case. Best to order all that is required from Aliexpress or Mobile Sentrix (they only work with dealers but you can try Ebay as well) if in USA / Canada.

David87483

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2023
How can you do SMC reset without holding power button? In that case you won't be able to do so cause the power button is dead

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.