Power button to Restart/Shutdown?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arbitrage, Nov 20, 2016.

1. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

It seems like the TouchID power button doesn't actually function like the old one. I wanted to retain the functionality of pressing it to bring up the Sleep, Restart, Shutdown menu. But it does nothing when pressed. Only if you hold it down long enough will it force a shutdown for those times when the laptop is frozen up.

Is there a way to get back that function or did Apple remove this feature from the new MBPs??

2. fokmik macrumors 68020

i think you can still customise it but you will never have the sleep option, for that you just close the lid

3. arbitrage thread starter macrumors 6502a

How do I customize it? I can't find any options for that.

4. fokmik macrumors 68020

if you hold down toucid for 3-4 sec and lift it up, the shut down restart doesn't come up?

5. arbitrage thread starter macrumors 6502a

No it doesn't. Nothing happens until it eventually just powers down after holding for 5 seconds or so.

6. arbitrage thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can anybody confirm if this is normal on your 2016? Or any way to enable the old behaviour?

7. SVTM macrumors member

SVTM

Mine doesn't bring up the old power down options either. I wish it did but after looking in the menus I don't see an option to enable it to act in a similar way to old power buttons. Hopefully it is something they add in an update.

8. Das Beard macrumors newbie

Same thing here, power button/ touchID doesn't do anything unless you hold it long enough for it to force shutdown. I used to use the quick key to sleep my old laptop macbook pro, and that doesn't work either (shift+control+power/eject). As a work around, you can change the SIRI button on the touch bar to be a lock button, which is what I have done.

9. arbitrage thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks SVTM and Das Beard for confining this is the correct behaviour on the new machines.