Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
Hi all,

Anyone know of a cheap and easy way to sort out a power cable for a Power Mac G5 (Late 2005)? I've inherited a machine but can't get hold of the power cable... Incidentally WHY did Apple choose a non-standard power connector for that particular Mac? Typical ;)

Thanks!

:-Joe

PS I'm in the UK :)

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
Oh wow cool, that's great to know thanks!

Since you're so clued up... ;) I have another question relating to the PMG5... In order to get my Apple Studio Display working with the graphics card, I need to buy one of those overpriced ADC-to-DVI adapters. Do you know if the adapter supports the USB ports on the back of the monitor, as well as the power and brightness buttons on the front? I'm guessing not... :(

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
Oh wow cool, that's great to know thanks!

Since you're so clued up... ;) I have another question relating to the PMG5... In order to get my Apple Studio Display working with the graphics card, I need to buy one of those overpriced ADC-to-DVI adapters. Do you know if the adapter supports the USB ports on the back of the monitor, as well as the power and brightness buttons on the front? I'm guessing not... :(

They do support the USB ports, but the brightness/power buttons don't do much.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
They do support the USB ports, but the brightness/power buttons don't do much.

The brightness button does open up the Displays system preference, but the USB ports are not USB 2.0 so they are very slow to use for data.

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
Thanks all :) I was thinking of just getting a new monitor, but the one I've got fits so neatly into my setup. To replace it with something comparable I'd be looking at about spending double the amount of the adapter.

It's a bit of a shame that the power button won't work :( but it's good to hear the USB will. I use it for the keyboard and Bluetooth dongle for the mouse. :)

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
While I'm here... ;)

Does anyone know the model number of the card I need to buy for wireless/bluetooth? MacTracker just says "Optional AirPort Extreme with Bluetooth 2.0+EDR combo card" but there are a few models out there... A1044 being one of them, but no evidence it supports the Quad 2.5. My model is M9592LL/A.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.