Power cable turning yellow and breaking.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BabyCakes2415, Nov 4, 2015.

1. BabyCakes2415 macrumors newbie

BabyCakes2415

Hi my Mac book pro power cable as been turning yellow since I returned from a trip overseas and slowly it has been breaking. At first I didn't give it much thought but it got so bad that I've ordered a replacement and then did some browsing to look up why it was happening. From what I could understand it's a product fault?
    Anyway what i wanted to know is, having used that cable for a while, would it have done any damage to my mac? because I'm not sure whether its the cable or the most recent software update (el capitan) but lately my mac has been overheating a little (does summer tend to make mac's run a little hotter?) and also when I watch video's online my screen would not exactly totally freeze up but break up with random black squarish parts in places of the screen, some frozen parts of the screen and then some parts would remain normal. When that happened I can't even get to shut down option because it just keeps alternating between the black, frozen and normal parts all over the screen at the same time (I don't know how to explain I hope it makes sense?) so I have to force shut down with the power button. It doesn't happen alot but enough to have me worried about the times I have been using the power button to shut down. It can't be good for the machine to force shut down right? Can anyone help me out?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Need more information about your Mac. What you're describing sounds like GPU failure.