Power cables question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Glennster, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Glennster macrumors 6502

Glennster

I read an article over the wknd that was dealing with avoiding purchasing certain iPhone and iPad 3rd party power cables & plugs as some have been known to fry the device or even catch fire.

My question is: other than buying directly from Apple are there actually safe brands out there?

2. dukeblue219 macrumors regular

For starters, anything with the Made for iPhone logo should be fine, and there are a million "reputable" brands that aren't Apple. The cables in particular don't deal with very high power relative to other household appliances. Cheap chargers with no branding can be a risk, sure, but if you stick with well-reviewed products on Amazon and use your judgement it's not a problem. Using a charger you found on the street that looks wet would be bad. Using a free charger from a conference might be a bad idea (for several reasons). But an Anker charger from Amazon is no more dangerous than a malfunctioning Apple-branded product.

What products did this article speak of? Just a generic "watch out for cheapo chargers" type of piece?

3. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I always just make sure they're Apple MFi certified.

4. Glennster thread starter macrumors 6502

Glennster

Mainly items sold at gas stations and dollar stores.

5. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

I use the Anker brand cables and have found them to be good. Just look for MFI certification when ordering.