power charger gets really hot

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pcomac, Jul 4, 2012.

1. pcomac macrumors regular

i got my ipad few days ago and today was the first time im charging it. when it was charging i noticed the white square charger gets really hot. i also have a macbook pro and the charger for that never gets that hot. is this normal? also, i bought a refurbished ipad if that makes a diff

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Sounds like the iPhone charger, does your charger have a removable "duck head"?
    [​IMG]

3. pmau macrumors 65816

The more power is drawn by the charging electronics, the hotter the charger gets. It _might_ be that the batteries draw more power when they are empty, or (worse) broken.

If you completely drain the battery (theoretically), the internal resistance is near zero when you start charging, meaning a lot of power flows to the device.

In short: I would only worry if it gets really hot when you start charging at 50% battery left.

4. pcomac thread starter macrumors regular

^thats the charger that i have

also, i started charging it when its 60%

5. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

It's normal. Mine gets hot too.

6. JulianMcC macrumors newbie

as the others have said, i'd say it is normal too, I just make sure the actual charger isn't covered by anything and is free to have room air sit around it. Mine sits on the carpet by my bed most of the time.