Power Computing - Power Tower Pro Help?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Directornyc, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Directornyc macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a huge favor-
    As I have a Power Computing Power Tower Pro (210) HD (Ultra Scci) I have Been trying to figure out how to transfer the HD contents to my present Mac-
    A 2.66 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon with 16GB running 10.8.4
    With no luck as of yet.
    Does anyone have any Solutions?
    And has anyone else had issues with this type of current Mac freezing- and slowing down even though I have 4 HD's and what I was told- a decent amount of memory?
    Is it worth trying to trick this one out- or are the new Imacs a better total untit then this?

Thank You for the help-

2. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

3. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

What OS do you have running on the Power Tower Pro? Do you have a USB card in it? A flash drive might be an easy option. Those old SCSIs can't be that big.

See also Classic Mac to Mac OSX file transfer via Ethernet:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20003464-263.html

As far as the Quad, how much free space do you have on your boot drive? Below 10% and it'll slow to a crawl. Most prefer to leave more than 20% of their boot drive free. Also check system monitor at idle to see if anything is hogging a high percentage of CPU cycles.

You may also wish to ask this part of your question in the Mac Pro section of the forums:

http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1

4. Directornyc thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for the quick reply

Swampus;17610598-

Thank you for the amazingly quick response-

The main issue- is I have the HD from the unit only- the unit itself is not with me (I still have it but not handy)
    That is why I was looking for an adapter that would fit the 50pin male ultra ssci and power source to start up- then transfer it to my current mac-

After speaking to a tech from Apple- it seems my main HD is still thinking my main HD has only 80Gb of free space while it actually has 380.Gb (on his recommendation I downloaded Istat nano) He then also suggested I back up my Main HD and do a clean install to reboot the system-
    As I tried to place Iphoto and Itunes on the second HD to keep space open on my main HD and must have done something very wrong.
    Plus- I know I need a "New" Main HD as I work in film/video and all 4 are almost 3/4 full plus a 1TB G-Tech External.
    So, I am now also on the hunt for a new HD (above 7200)
    AND some program to somehow save the over 1000 photo's that have been thrown out in the Iphoto garbage...
    OY.. My head.... :confused:

5. Swampus, Jul 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2013

Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

Hmmm. Maybe a SCSI to USB adapter would be your best option? As far as getting power to the drive for a one time file transfer, see if you can use what's available? External case? If not, any available Molex connector on any Mac or PC should be able to provide power. If not, get a Molex adapter.

Edit: Holy crap! I just did a quick eBay search for USB SCSI adapters and the going rate seems to be about three times what I paid for mine new 12 years ago. The lowest that I saw was about $160. For less than that, you could easily find a used G4 with a SCSI card.

6. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I was going to ask if you'd perused the price of SCSI anything thy'll make your eyes hurt.

7. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

LOL! Yeah, I see that now. I can't believe those old Belkin adapters are selling for so much.

OP, unless someone offers a better suggestion, I think I'd check my local Craig's List for a G4 with a SCSI card. It's a common configuration. Not only did Apple offer SCSI as a BTO option, there were several aftermarket options.

Depending on your location, you should be able to pick something up for $50 or so. Do what you need to do and then turn around and sell it. You'll likely spend less this way than having your Power Tower Pro shipped to you.

8. Swampus, Jul 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2013

Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

historiant

For its day, the Power Tower Pro was a beast. It was on par with the Power Macintosh 9500. More importantly, though, in those two years prior to Steve Jobs' return, Power Computing offered something that Apple couldn't deliver. It can be summed up in one word: Attitude.

[​IMG]

9. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Thats a cool flyer!

10. archtopshop macrumors regular

In the main iPhoto window, can't you just click on the trash can icon in the left-hand pane revealing the trashed images in the right-hand pane. Then, select the images and drag them back to the Library icon in the left-hand pane.

I'm using iPhoto 6, and that works for me. Maybe I'm missing something. (It wouldn't be the first time.) ;)

As far as transferring data from the scsi drive is concerned, the cheapest method would probably be getting your hands back on the Power Computing unit and using it to make the transfer via ethernet.