Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Greenhoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2008
Hi,

I have a Samsung 840 Pro in my 2009 Mac Pro and due to the 2009 Mac Pro only being Sata 2 I get about half the read/write speeds. I've been doing some research and I came across a Sata 3 pci-e card that will work in a 2009 Mac pro.

I"m going to put my SSD in my second optical bay drive and run a sata cable up to it, although I was wondering what do I do about power?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Why:confused: Have you not seen PCIe SATA3 cards like the Apricorn Velocity x2 that hold the SSD? There are many threads on this forum about such cards.

Lou

Greenhoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2008
Why:confused: Have you not seen PCIe SATA3 cards like the Apricorn Velocity x2 that hold the SSD? There are many threads on this forum about such cards.

Lou

Yes I have seen them although the cards are $100 compared to this solution which does the exact same thing for $30

Greenhoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2008
I have one of those $30 cards and they don't give you full SATA 3 speeds. Just be aware of that.

If you take a look at the link from DanielCoffey though he is using one of the high point cards and he is getting 500MB speeds, which card are you using?

initialsBB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
If you take a look at the link from DanielCoffey though he is using one of the high point cards and he is getting 500MB speeds, which card are you using?

Sorry I got mixed up. Those HighPoint cards are nowhere near $30 dollars here (France). I have an ASM 1061 chipset card from Amazon at the moment, but switching to a Sonnet Tempo PCI card because ASM card not that great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.