power consumption as Target Display (late 2009 imac)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by xizar, Dec 9, 2012.

1. xizar macrumors regular

I finally decided that my iMac is insufficient to the task of playing computer games, so I broke down and built a new setup.
    For the record, jumping from a 4850m to a 660ti is *incredible*.

Anyway, my new box has a DisplayPort thingie, so I bought a DP->mDP cable rather than a monitor, as I figured a new 27" monitor (especially at 1440p) would be far more expensive.

And it works very well. I even get sound from my Windows box piped through my iMac, which is awesome.
    (As an aside, if the sound in Windows is too quiet, it's because the max volume of the source is the currently set volume of the iMac. So turn up your volume in OS X.)

My question is this:
    How much power is my iMac (late 2009 27" with a few bells and whistles) going to suck down if i continue to use it as my monitor as opposed to just having a monitor?
    Is having the "computer" part of the iMac on going to mess things up? From what I've been able to find, there is no way to *just* have the monitor in use; the whole iMac has to be on, and it does not ever seem to go to sleep.

Should I just shell out for a new 27"? I should note I am horribly spoiled and would not want to go to a smaller monitor, though if I did get a new one, I'd be forced to get a 1080p instead. I can't see spending 700+ on the 1440p ones.

If I do get a new monitor, what's up with all this LED/LCD thingies? does that matter?

Thanks for your constructive input.

2. lewdvig macrumors 65816

I am curious about this too.

The only way to know for sure is probably via killawatt device.

My hunch is that the power consumption is the same as iMac in idle mode. I think the CPU and everything else needs to be on when using the iMac as a monitor. I'd love to be wrong though.

3. WilliamG macrumors 604

That sounds right. It's going to be a lot of power consumption. About 50 watts or so.

http://images.apple.com/environment/reports/docs/iMac_27_inch_Environmental_Report_2009.pdf

LED is still LCD. Just refers to the backlighting tech. So either LED LCD or CCFL LCD, at the moment. Your iMac is LED-backlit LCD. I tend to prefer CCFL since I find LED quite piercing, but I live with it on my iMac...