Power consumption during sleep....

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Fuzzball84, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Fuzzball84 macrumors 6502

Is there any way to improve the power consumption during sleep?

I noticed that the rMB uses slightly more power than the Air and MBP during sleep... a few percentage points for 24 hours or so... Its not a huge deal, but is there any way to improve this? my Air and MBP have exact same settings as my rMB (Powernap Off etc)

2. Fuzzball84 thread starter macrumors 6502

I just seen another thread that I missed that may address this... But my case doesn't be to be as severe at all...

3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I doubt that it is using more power than the other devices, rather that it has a smaller battery and has to power approximately the same amount of RAM in all of them, so the result is that it appears it's using more from the MB because the battery is smaller.

4. Fuzzball84 thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe, but I think the battery is similar in capacity to the 11 inch air I have... only time will tell, maybe with further updates it could improve. Still, as I said before, its only a very minor issue.

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Yeah, I guess it's actually slightly larger than the 11" model.

How much RAM in the Air?

6. Fuzzball84 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have 4 GB in the Air (2014 model) 8 GB in the Pro (2014 model) compared to 8 GB in the rMB...

I lost about 3% overnight... Im going to look on apple website see how long the computer remains in sleep before it hibernates (I think its usually around 3 to 4 hours). I think once its in hibernation that the battery drain would be even lower so if I leave for 2 days total etc it shouldn't be too different compared to what i see it losing during 1 night

7. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

The difference in the amount of RAM between the Air and the MacBook could easily account for the difference in drain, as the RAM is the primary power draw when sleeping. The Pro has a much larger battery, so the earlier points apply. 3% drain overnight seems excellent to me.