Power cord broke

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Chocklit, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Chocklit macrumors newbie

Chocklit

I have a MacBook which I purchased in Feb 2007. It gets light daily use.

Over Christmas holidays in Dec 08, while attending a weeklong family reunion, the laptop was in use almost constantly by various family members. On the drive home, our daughter had the MacBook plugged into the power source in our minivan so she could watch a DVD. She noticed a scorching smell, and realized the plug at the computer end was smoking! That's when we noticed a series of small holes or tears around the plastic coating of the power cord where it attaches to the plug (just below the thicker sheath). The wires inside were twisted together and had shorted out.

We went to an Apple store and purchased a new cord. It cost $120!!!

While my MacBook is no longer on warranty and I do not have AppleCare, I want to contacting Apple about this. I am wondering if other people have encountered this problem. I notice that the new power cord has a longer plastic sheath between the plug and the cord; it is twice as long as the one on my old cord.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I got a free Magsafe adaptor from Apple out of warranty. All I did was take a copy of this support article with me to show the genius.

Of course if you've already paid for a replacement I'm not sure what you can do...

3. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Wow, $120 for a magsafe power adapter? Last summer I bought a spare one at the Apple store, so I don't have to lug it between home and work, for about $80.

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Try and get your money back. That is extremely hazardous, and Apple should replace it, in or out of warranty.

5. jtibbitt macrumors regular

jtibbitt

Happened twice to me.

Yes, that same issue has happened twice to me. In the future, when winding up the cord around the charger, place a small little loop before winding it (see picture). Doing that will help prevent the stress on that area.

Attached Files:

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes it's a known issue and it's covered even your computer is out of warranty.

7. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Your in the U.S., he's in Canada.

8. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Ah, I see.

9. Chocklit thread starter macrumors newbie

Chocklit

ahem....that should read SHE'S in Canada. ;)

10. Chocklit thread starter macrumors newbie

Chocklit

Thanks for the advice, I am going to contact Apple about this. As we have already replaced it, perhaps I can get a credit or refund or something.

11. Olivier L. macrumors member

If you can not get your money back, and if you still have your damaged unit, maybe you can go again and get another one for free in exchange for the damaged one?

I currently have two complete sets and would enjoy having a third one, maybe you could enjoy the added flexibility.

12. neil1980 macrumors 6502

I've got 3 magsafe's for my macbook.

Sounds a little OTT but it's really nice knowing that the main places I use it I will never be without power (power cuts permitting of course)

13. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

My apologies. :p

14. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

I'm just surprised it took over a month to notice the error! :D

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just push for the refund. Be sure to bring your original box with the new one your bought along with the broken one.

16. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If was recent and not like 3 weeks ago, I would definitely try to get a refund from the Apple Store or call up AppleCare and speak to CSR. If the problem is safety related, those are almost always covered with or without warranty. Something as small as a MagSafe adaptor shouldn't be that difficult to get replaced, it's not like you're asking for a new computer or something.

17. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Definitely try to get another replacement. They should replace it warranty or no, especially if it is a well-documented, repeated issue like it seems to be.

If the one you bought can still be returned, do that, but if not, you will have to either hang on to it, or you could always sell it to someone else...