Power cord extension cable... Will it still work?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FocusAndEarnIt, Nov 16, 2007.

1. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

I don't know how it happened, but the power cord extension cable's circular part of the plug has come off! Can I still use it? :eek:

Attached Files:

2. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Yes you can, but it might not be safe. The top plug is the Earthed/Ground port- so if any voltage is leaking out to the surface of your computer, you might get a shock.

I think you ought to be able to stick the pin back in- they are usually removable.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Now that's a bad idea. Moulded plus like these are never designed to be removable. You guarantee a bad connection inside the plug, and if it is ever asked to carry current, it ill generate heat. Best case melt the plug. Worst case start a fire.

Rule: Any damaged AC cabling or plugs must be replaced immediately and not used. These are like $1.99 for a generic one at any computer or electronics store (won't be white, but it will work). OR if you know what you are doing (contrary to present evidence) then cutting off the damaged plug and installing a three-prong, UL-approved replacement plug would work as well.

4. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

That is a good idea. I have seen several Earthed pins that are designed to be removable, so that they can be used in 2-pin sockets. I am not sure about the design of the port that user has.

Ofcourse now, if it was never designed to be removable, then it is a bad idea to put it back in and trying to make a connection.

5. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Crazy New York...the ground plug is on the bottom everywhere I've been besides Cornell. :p

6. FocusAndEarnIt thread starter macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

7. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I'm going to ask what I'm sure will be considered a stupid question. Even more stupid when you consider that I am an Electrical Engineer by trade. In my defense I avoid most things dealing with voltages that could hurt/mame/kill me so, while I can install light fixtures and ceiling fans with ease I'm not extremely well versed in Power cable construction.

Now, onto the stupid question:

Where does the third prong go in the power adapter extension cable? When the power brick is used without the extension cable, there is a little two prong attachment and there are two posts that connect to the power brick. With only two posts to connect to where does the third prong go/what is it actually doing?

8. dvd macrumors regular

dvd

Hard to describe without visuals.. the ground pin makes contact with that big metal "button" that you clip the exchangeable attachment to. if you look inside the "slot" of the extension attachment you'll see the contacts. The third prong is ground.

9. .JahJahwarrior. macrumors 6502

You could solder/screw on a new grounded plug. The Apple power brick doesn't use a standard computer power cable, so you are at a disadvantage....

10. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I see, never noticed the metal in the slot. However the question still remains, what makes it different/better than the 2 prong attachment that can be put on the brick? I guess I don't see how it would be so bad if the third prong were to break since the adapter is able to run off the 2 prong attachment just fine.