power cord for Mac Pro 1,1

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by olsend81, Jul 3, 2013.

1. olsend81 macrumors member

Im trying to find a power cord for a mac pro 1,1 i am purchasing. Could I just use a generic one and does anyone know the wattage. I havent been able to find one one ebay. I just need the cable.

Thanks for the help

2. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

A generic 3 prong power cord will be just fine. I have a million of 'em. Well, maybe not that many, but a bunch.

Lou

3. Neodym macrumors 65816

Neodym

The only difference between generic and original Apple is that the Apple cable sits flush with the housing, due to a rim around the plug itself. Usually you don't watch your MacPro from the back, so unless you're an absolute aesthetic and want your products to look good even on the back or other normally invisible areas (like Jobs learned from his father), a cheap standard cable will be fine.

4. Studio K macrumors 6502

Studio K

I have a power cable leftover from an old Power Mac G5. It looks very much like the Mac Pro power cable.
    Will it work with the Mac Pro PSU? Are the G5 and Mac Pro cables different at all?

5. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

^^^^I assume you mean the old rainbow cable? That's the cable I am using on my 5,1 and used previously on my 3,1 Power Macs. I like it because it's unique and very easy to spot. And yes, it will work just fine.

Lou

6. chrfr macrumors 603

Some G5s use a cable that has a different end on the computer side than the Mac Pro.

7. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Those were the Liquid Cooled Quad G5 cables. They were super phat too. Only 1 rev had them. I guess Apple felt they were getting ridiculous as Intel Xeon came right after.

8. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I believe this is the part you're looking for, if you wanted an Apple original.