power cord Macbook Air charger on macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iNurse11, Jan 14, 2012.

1. iNurse11 macrumors newbie

Can you use a macbook air charger on the macbook pro? our pro charger snapped today

2. simsaladimbamba

Yes, but it will charge slower and during CPU intensive tasks, the battery will be drained, as the MBA charger does not have enough power.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Intel-Based Apple Portables: Identifying the right power adapter and power cord--US

4. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

5. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

This thread just made me realize that I don't have the right wattage. I have 2 and both are 60w. They have been okay but charging to full takes about 3 hours. I have AC, I wonder if this is an issue.

6. chillfrilla macrumors member

ur macbook pro ddid not come with a charger? LOLLOL

7. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you can, but it will take longer to charge.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Even for my MacBook Air, I buy the 85W adapter. Sure it's bigger, it works better since the 85W adapter can adjust it's output for the 45W and 60W use on the MacBook Air and MacBook, respectively.

I have occasionally used the 45W adapter from my MacBook Air on my 15" MacBook Pro; it works for browsing the web if I fire up a flash site or whatnot, my battery starts draining and it doesn't really charge.

10. Fultonpics macrumors member

btw, some older United Airline planes only have max 75 watt plugs in the seats--so if you have an 85 watt charger it doesn't work. i carry an older 60 watt when i travel..for my macbook pro.

11. spob15 macrumors member

would not reccomend

I have MBP and my wife has an MBA...I noticed problems with my battery not taking a charge. Battery was bad and the genius said that using the MBA charger could have lead to that. I took a sharpie and marked the chargers so i dont mix them up again...

12. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Apple does not recommend it and you can get some odd behaviors by doing so. Generally, an SMC reset will clear up the behavior if you experience anything.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Such as?

14. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

You like Apple KB articles, yeah?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1713

Apple is fairly non-descript about the potential issues. In my experience it has amounted to some of the following:

1. Not recognizing the higher watt adapters when subsequently used.
    2. Improper charging status on the recommend adapter when subsequently used.
    3. The obvious, and has been noted, the computer may not charge when in use.
    4. As I am sure you are aware, SMC handles a number of functions related to power, including sleep, fans, video and more. Given the complexities of the SMC and how tightly coupled it is with power you could experience a number of issues with other functions it handles.

Apple says don't do it, so you probably shouldn't. The impacts may be temporary (SMC reset can likely fix any symptoms), but only Apple knows if there are larger implications.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Hence, my question. Thanks for some details. As I indicated in my first post, Apple doesn't recommend it (nor do I), but they're vague about any potential problems, beyond not having enough power to charge.

16. iNurse11 thread starter macrumors newbie