power cord Macbook Air charger on macbook pro

Nov 28, 2010
located
Yes, but it will charge slower and during CPU intensive tasks, the battery will be drained, as the MBA charger does not have enough power.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Can you use a macbook air charger on the macbook pro? our pro charger snapped today
Intel-Based Apple Portables: Identifying the right power adapter and power cord--US
Power adapters for Intel-based Apple portables are available in 45W, 60W, and 85W varieties. Although you should always use the proper wattage adapter for your Apple portable, you can use an adapter of a higher wattage without issue.

For instance If you have a MacBook (13-inch Late 2009) that normally uses a 60W adapter, you can also use an 85W adapter with that computer. You would not use a 45W adapter with that computer; it would not provide enough power for that MacBook.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
This thread just made me realize that I don't have the right wattage. I have 2 and both are 60w. They have been okay but charging to full takes about 3 hours. I have AC, I wonder if this is an issue.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
although you would not, doesnt mean you couldnt right? you could but it would charge slow or not charge at all(when turned on)?
i think it will charge when its shut down though.
Yes, you can, but it will take longer to charge.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Even for my MacBook Air, I buy the 85W adapter. Sure it's bigger, it works better since the 85W adapter can adjust it's output for the 45W and 60W use on the MacBook Air and MacBook, respectively.

I have occasionally used the 45W adapter from my MacBook Air on my 15" MacBook Pro; it works for browsing the web if I fire up a flash site or whatnot, my battery starts draining and it doesn't really charge.

Fultonpics

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
btw, some older United Airline planes only have max 75 watt plugs in the seats--so if you have an 85 watt charger it doesn't work. i carry an older 60 watt when i travel..for my macbook pro.

spob15

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2009
would not reccomend

I have MBP and my wife has an MBA...I noticed problems with my battery not taking a charge. Battery was bad and the genius said that using the MBA charger could have lead to that. I took a sharpie and marked the chargers so i dont mix them up again...

calderone

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2009
Seattle
You like Apple KB articles, yeah?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1713

Apple is fairly non-descript about the potential issues. In my experience it has amounted to some of the following:

1. Not recognizing the higher watt adapters when subsequently used.
2. Improper charging status on the recommend adapter when subsequently used.
3. The obvious, and has been noted, the computer may not charge when in use.
4. As I am sure you are aware, SMC handles a number of functions related to power, including sleep, fans, video and more. Given the complexities of the SMC and how tightly coupled it is with power you could experience a number of issues with other functions it handles.

Apple says don't do it, so you probably shouldn't. The impacts may be temporary (SMC reset can likely fix any symptoms), but only Apple knows if there are larger implications.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Apple is fairly non-descript about the potential issues.
Hence, my question. Thanks for some details. As I indicated in my first post, Apple doesn't recommend it (nor do I), but they're vague about any potential problems, beyond not having enough power to charge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.