Power Cord Problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Project-79, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Project-79 macrumors 6502

Project-79

Anyone else have to wiggle the cord after putting into the MacBook to turn the light on? It doesn't seem to charge the MacBook either (before wiggling).

Is this usual, or is this a hardware problem (that needs replacing)?

Thanks!

Pro-79

2. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

Sounds like a hardware issue to me. It should just go right in and work.

3. Project-79 thread starter macrumors 6502

Project-79

Well, it goes in right, but the light doesn't come on. I have to wiggle it until the light comes on.

If it is a hardware problem, does Apple replace it? If so, how?

Thanks!

Pro-79

4. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

it is normal for the light to not come on instantly, takes a few seconds.

If you have the wiggle it, sounds like something isnt right, deff exchange

5. nitewolfgtr macrumors regular

nitewolfgtr

Sounds like a defect. Take it to the nearest Apple store. :D

6. Project-79 thread starter macrumors 6502

Project-79

Do I need to prove it's defective at the Apple Store, or can I just walk in and say it's broken, give me a new one?

Thanks!

Pro-79

7. hojjifiremaker macrumors newbie

The Same thing happened to me

My Mack book pro (2007 model) is now having the same issue. The cord works sometimes, and doesn't work other times. It is not like it used to be. Yes, it takes a second or so for the light to turn on during normal operation, but this is an error, and am wondering if my computer needs to be replaced, repaired, or is it just the cord? If it is any of these things, will apple pay for it? I have insurance on it until august 2009.

8. carl76tr macrumors newbie

I have exactly the same problem

This is not a matter of waiting a few seconds for the light to come on, that's correct functioning. My new retina mbp requires wiggling the cable to get it to charge. Not every time, but probably half the time. Also, once it's charging, sometimes it will stop charging before it's complete (or even close to complete) and then I need to wiggle the connection again to get it to restart. Also, it's not the cable, it's the connection to the machine. To get it to charge, you have to rock the connector at the point where it connects to the machine. Also, I see the same behavior on an old power supply that has a magsafe-1-to-magsafe-2 adapter on it. And that supply always worked fine w/ my old mbp. The point is that it's the machine, not the power supply. I guess I'll need to bring it back. I wonder how many of them have this problem.