Power Cord Question (re: water)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tipsy McStagger, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Tipsy McStagger macrumors member

Tipsy McStagger

Hi everybody.

I've been working at my desk for a few hours now and have my MBP plugged into the wall with the extension cord that came with it. The plug that attaches to the brick (See pic 1) was sitting on my desk. My cat jumped on the desk and stood in front of the screen demanding pets/scratches as is his nature. I obliged and he left, but not before he spotted the plug sitting on the desk.

The next thing I know he takes it in his mouth and runs off. I find it an hour later completely submerged in his water bowl. What to do now?

Can I just dry it off, leave it out for a day and it will be ok? Should I put it in a jar with some desiccant? Is it toast and should I buy a new one?

I just felt like I should ask you guys/girls before I plug it back in and start a fire or something. Pic #2 is the culprit.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. trikky macrumors regular

1. Buy a new plug - definitely.
    2. Cut the end off the old cord.
    3. Give the exposed wire to the cat to play with.
    4. Plug in the other end.
    5. Say to the cat "you want to play with something, kitty?"

:D

3. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Let it dry for a couple weeks. You still have the extension cord, so just use that.

I never use those things. One of the first things I do when I open a new apple product with one of those things is take it off the brick and attach the extension cord. (The extension contains a grounded end on it. The little plug does not.)

4. misko macrumors newbie

Yes, but no ground on the other side of the cable :)

5. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

First let it dry and see.
    If you still have your Apple Warranty or AppleCare, I suggest calling applecare and tell them your AC isnt working.
    Say you need it now because of work and cant wait for a repair.
    They should hook you up at any AppleStore you want and just go to the Genius bar.

I got my nonworking AC replaced for free the same way.
    Mine wasnt submerged in water or anything but they didnt even bother to check.
    They plugged it in to their computer and saw it didnt work so just gave me a new one.

6. Tipsy McStagger thread starter macrumors member

Tipsy McStagger

Thanks for the replies everybody! I just bought a new one; didn't want to chance it.