power cords on Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by redmannator, Aug 3, 2014.

1. redmannator macrumors newbie

I just replaced my power cord on my MacBook Pro for the 3rd time in as many years. Each time the rubber covering starts to deteriorate and fall apart. The first time i was told that i needed to by a full packaged power cord set up for $80.00 to have it covered. Now i'm told that it is "environmental" and can not be replaced under manufacture defect. i agree this is not a "manufacturer's defect" it is a design flaw! i work with power cords and patch cords all day long in my profession. This is the only cord that falls apart on me like this. What kind of crap is this?

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

The kind of crap that is in absolutely perfect condition for four years or more (mine is 4 years old) if it is treated properly. Mine is out-of-the-box perfect, and I see no reason why it should not last many more years.

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I've had the exact same experience myself with MagSafe cables as well as iPhone cables. Apple doesn't use a lot of the plastic additives that other companies use in their cables (PVC etc.) as part of their green/enviornmental initiatives.

The soft-touch cables are nice but they aren't as durable as the harder, glossier cables that basically every other company uses.

4. redmannator thread starter macrumors newbie

Power cords on Macbook Pro

Does anyone know of an option other than the "soft-touch" power cable? i use my Macbook Pro every day. Many times in performance settings. I really need cables i can count on. There is nothing more frustrating than "bad cables" when it's show time.

As far as Mr. Shrink goes. i found myself laughing at such a passionate response. I just spent $160.00 on power cords! You can understand my frustration. Mr. Shrink must own a lot of Apple Stock :) I really think that just by mentioning his name I will most definitely get a snarky response. Have at it Mr. Shrink!:)

Many of the cables that i use in my profession cost less then $40.00, are beat up every day and have a life time warranty. And all i have to do is call for a replacement. Apple can do better than this!

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

There is some merit to his post; I've had Apple portables since 2004 and I've only had one cable failure. Even then it was covered under warranty. You just have to take care of your equipment and it'll last for years.

6. Azadre macrumors 6502

I am on my 3rd adapter starting today. Next adapter will be for a different computer.