Power Difference in Montevina 2-Worth Waiting?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ptjh, Mar 14, 2008.

1. ptjh macrumors regular

I waited for the perelyn updates but it seems that there has been little or no speed bump to the current range of macbook pro's. Does anyone know how much faster the montevina 2's would be/are likely to be when the come out? Is it worth waiting? Thanks

2. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I noticed there are so many threads of the same topics here, well anyways yes Montevina will have a significant upgrade and will have a 1066mhz frontside bus as to the 800 on the current SR and Penryn models.

I would also think that the RAM used on the Montevina will have a bump of 800mhz instead of the 667mhz as well. I own a SR mbp and am waiting for the Montevina to upgrade.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you have Merom, it's worth the wait. If you don't, it's not.

4. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

I do not know the technical aspects precisely, but my advice to you is to just get the model you need today and be happy with it. It is impossible to keep up with technology, and this waiting game will only end up in hurting your productivity. If you need it now, then get it. Otherwise, you don't really need it.

5. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

here's my take on the waiting game:

1. 16-35 yr old buyer = WAIT
    2. 36-50 yr old buyer = BUY NOW
    3. 50 and up = it's time for your Colonoscopy

6. mcbane999 macrumors newbie

Dont be impulsive

If you jump on a Montevina in late summer I think you will be dissapointed. The new Moorsetown CPU is going to smoke the Montevina and is expected to hit the streets as soon as June 2009. Dont know about you, but I would feel pretty foolish using a dated Montevina when everyone else is ordering the new Moorsetown.:p

7. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

Holy hell! To think I am actually using a G5 iMac fro 2005! Call Apple! I must immediately trade in this fast, reliable, and smooth operating machine for the new iMacs!!! ;)

OP:
    Basically, I personally feel that the buyer needs to be strategic as to when to buy to ensure the machine will be what is needed. It seems from your post that you wanted to know about waiting for June. I am currently also waiting for June to get a MBP. First because the rumored updates, the fact I don't need it right now, and the student iPod discount that will be rolling around in June. The day you buy a computer it is outdated. It still works fine though. Try to be strategic, but I wouldn't get too worried about the future.

8. ptjh thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice so far guys. I won't be waiting untill june 2009, thats for sure. It's primary use will be for music production which can be very cpu/ram heavy. It's really the difference between the predicted june upgrade and the current perelyn mac. I may even be tempted to go down the macbook route for portability and price (i dont think macbook pro's are that more powerful judging by the labs results).

9. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Mooretown, not Moorsetown.:D Btw, that's a desktop processor, not for laptops. Hence, VERY unlikely that we would see that on our MacBook Pros.

10. benjaminbr macrumors member

on the flipside, Montevina will use 25W, 10 to 20W less than SR or others. Which means more battery life

11. ptjh thread starter macrumors regular

I'm more interested in potential power increases than battery life if there's any news. Will definitely be buying before july i would think. When do apple start giving away/discounting ipods with laptops and the like?

12. mr. feeny macrumors member

They begin this usually during the back to school swing. Mid to late summer from what I recall.