Power discussion: Fridge-mounted Ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 3Gornot3G, May 16, 2012.

1. 3Gornot3G macrumors newbie

Just looking for your insights and/or feedback:

I'm planning on semi-permanently mounting an iPad 2 on my elderly mother's refrigerator, primarily for her to receive radio broadcasts via patch cord to her Bose radio. (actually, it's my iPad currently there, for what's been a successful 4-week test; hers is presently leaving China)

In light of the negative battery implications of keeping her iPad permanently on AC, two questions:

1) am I missing anything in planning to attach her power cord to a digital AC timer, programmed to be "on" only often enough to recharge the unit, and

2) if the Ipad has no future other intended use, is there really a problem with full-time AC (i.e. would a compromised battery really matter in this usage scenario)?

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

I go with #2 - If the idea is to keep it (more or less) permanently mounted on the fridge what does it matter if it's permanently connected to AC power? It really shouldn't harm the battery and if, 2 or 3 years down the road, you find battery life to be disappointing then you'll be out $99 at most to get a new one.