Power down during install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JoelWard, Jun 8, 2009.

1. JoelWard macrumors newbie

Macbook pro 2008 model, most up to date leopard installation. The idiot next to me pulled out my charger cord, and due to an accident with a battery, I didn't have this in. The result was an instant shut down. When this happened, I was installing the Xcode tools from the leopard disk, it had written all the files and was preparing something, I can see java in the utilities but not Xcode, I know it has written a lot of the files though.

How do I now go about cleaning this up, before reinstalling Xcode tools. I have appcleaner but I fear this won't do the job as it wasnt exactly a full install and I'm sure appcleaner doesn't get EVERYTHING anyway. anyone with a way to go on this one?

I have onyx so I can do some repairing permissions etc, but I want to remove EVERYTHING the Xcode tools mkpg was installing.

thanks in advance, Joel

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Fortunately, this is easy to fix. There's an Xcode uninstaller included with Xcode - it's probably in the folder that the installer was in. It will be called something like Xcode-Uninstall.tool - run this little tool, and all traces of Xcode will be removed. Then, try the install again.

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Type this into Terminal:

sudo perl /Developer/Tools/uninstall-devtools.pl

Worked fine for me.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Ah, so that's what the tool is called in Xcode 3.0. I think Apple changed it with the downloadable Xcode releases, starting with 3.1...

5. JoelWard thread starter macrumors newbie

ahhhh i saw this in the readme files on the disc. I hope the uninstaller is intact. thankyou for the snappy replies guys.

EDIT to avoid double posting:
    ok, so this command hasnt worked for me. possibly my version is pre 3.1 on the first leopard discs to ship, and doesnt have the same name? I can locate XCodebut not the uninstall tool. the package on the disc is only an installer. does anyone know the name of the uninstaller on the version I may have?

the problem I have with that terminal command is it cannot locate the perl script.

6. JoelWard thread starter macrumors newbie

i tried the two terminal command files:
    sudo /Developer/Library/uninstall-developer-folder ; exit;
    sude /Developer/Library/uninstall-devtools ; exit;

they seemed to run way too fast, and this was correct, the folders are still there.

the uninstall package is only 4kB big and has no extension. tried changing the extension to terminal and it wouldnt run it. Obviously the uninstaller didnt install. bum deal ay. shall i jus try the xcode installer again? or will that screw things royally. im starting to think im going to have to format. damnit i wish i had an external to backup with before this. :(

EDIT again to avoid treble posting:
    i tried the command that the readme says to uninstall all of the dev tools stuff, and this does not work. directory not found
    sudo <Xcode directory>/Library/uninstall-devtools --mode=all

Sorry to be a massive pester on this one.

7. JoelWard thread starter macrumors newbie

ok i know im triple posting but im becoming quite desperate. Does anyone know if its possible for someone else to take the uninstaller pkg turn it into a dmg, and for me to use that version to uninstall my developer tools problem. or will this not work?

has anyone else had a though of how to solve this problem :(