power in europe for my WD external hardrive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gwm8923, Dec 22, 2007.

  1. gwm8923 macrumors newbie

    Dec 22, 2007
    I left my power cable and converter back home and I would really like to access my external hardrive. On the back of the hardrive it says 12VDC and the plug it takes which people are telling is a pretty generic cable to find. So while looking around I have found a couple universal power cables that can put out 12VDC, however I do not completely understand how this power thing works. I went to a computer store here and a guy had a converter that would fit and could put out 12V however he said he wasnt positive if it would work or not and it might damage my external. Are there any other elements I should be looking for.

  2. GregE macrumors 6502

    Nov 28, 2007
    You should also make sure it puts out the same current. Be careful or you will mess it up. Your best bet is to buy another WD EHD and see if it is the same.
  3. GoodWatch macrumors 6502a


    Sep 22, 2007
    Rotterdam, The Netherlands
    You should look at the input side of the PSU. Modern PSUs operate in a wide range of voltages and frequencies. In Europe it is mostly 230-240 V and 50 Hz. If your PSU supports this you only need an adapter to convert the prongs on the plug.

Share This Page