Power Issue with MBP Early 2008 Model

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hayden21, Oct 2, 2012.

1. hayden21 macrumors member

This past weekend I was using my MBP (Model: A1260) and it was working fine. I closed the lid on it while I attended to other things and when I returned the computer wouldn't wake up from its sleep. This has happened before and I just did a hard restart. The problem is that is never restarted. Instead the fans would start for a second, the dvd drive would make its usual sound, and the hard drive would click... then nothing. I thought it might be the hard drive and replaced the drive, but still nothing. I took the memory out and it beeped consistently letting me know a major component was missing. This leads me to believe the logic board or the left i/o board is toast, but I don't know which one it is. I was wondering if there is anyway to test the components to see where the failure lies. Ultimately it seems like power is getting to the logic board, its just not maintaining the power to fully start up. I really am at a loss.

2. DoubleVision19 macrumors member

Are you able to boot with a external drive which as a working copy of OSX? If so, are you getting the same issues?

3. hayden21 thread starter macrumors member

No, the computer won't stay on for more than five seconds. The monitor doesn't turn on and no indication that the computer is booting (ie. no sounds).

4. DoubleVision19 macrumors member

Sounds like a PSU issue...is the unit plugged into a power strip? If so, did you try plugging the unit directly to the AC outlet? Try powering the unit with a different power cord.

From this point on, it sounds like a Power Suppy or Logic Board problem.

5. hayden21 thread starter macrumors member

I've already ruled out external power issues. I've limited the problem to either the left i/o board or logic board. My question really is how can I tell if the power issues are a result of the left i/o board or the logic board.

As I stated in my original post I know power flows through the logic board it just isn't sustained for a duration longer than 5 seconds. The fans come on, the dvd drive comes on, and the hard drive spins, but it all lasts no more than 10 seconds and thats if I hold the power button down. If I don't it will shut of in about 4-5 seconds.

6. DoubleVision19 macrumors member

When you connect the MagSafe adapter to the unit, does it temporarily light up green for a moment and then then disappears? I've seen this issue before. We replaced the MagSafe Board first, but in the end, we had to also replace the Logic Board. Replacing the MagSafe board would be cheaper than replacing the Logic Board. $50 vs $400 at the moment

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Could very easily be the well documented 8600GT issue. Your computer most likely needs a new logicboard.

8. hayden21 thread starter macrumors member

No, the MagSafe adapter light appears green then entire time, and the battery has a full charge as well. I replaced the battery about a year ago.

----------

I have feeling that it is. Although Apple at the moment doesn't acknowledge it a problem unless they can diagnose the issue, which they can't since it won't turn on. I'd say it would be convenient, but then again my laptop wouldn't qualify for the replacement anyway since I am about 5 months past the four year warranty of that problem.

Assuming it is the logic board is it worth it to replace/repair it on a 4 soon to be 5 year old laptop, or should I just part it out and buy a newer model? I really don't need anything grand, the laptop I had did everything I needed to just fine.

9. hayden21 thread starter macrumors member

Some added info. If I pull the memory out, the laptop stays on, but beeps. Clearly it doesn't boot up, but I don't know if that helps narrow the issue down.