Power Issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SayCheese, Dec 2, 2010.

1. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

I have a late 2007 MBP 15inch 2.33Ghz Core 2 Duo. I have had since new and no problems.

Over this last week I have had the same issue a couple of times. The MBP just switches itself off. The first time it did it, it was running on battery (I was using Aperture) and had 60% power available. It would refuse to re-start until I connected it to the mains and then it ran fine.
    Then it did the same thing overnight at some point. I had left it connected to the mains (as I always do at home), had shut the lid to put it into sleep mode. When I came back it was switched off. No-one had touched it whilst I was away but yet it had just turned itself off.

The only thing that I noticed was that when I started it up both times the little light on the magsafe connecter kept flashing between orange and green. However when the computer booted into OS X both times it showed a reasonable amount of power in the battery.

Any ideas as to whats going on please people? Is it the battery? Power Supply unit? Other issue?

All suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you calibrated properly, to make sure the readings are accurate?
    This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

3. SayCheese thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, will try that. Don't think i've ever calibrated the battery.
    Not sure why it would have affected it last night though as was on mains power.

4. SayCheese thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've just gone through the first part of that. I timed it and got 34mins from 100% to shutdown. All I was doing was websurfing with Safari.
    I suspect the battery is on it's way out.

5. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

Sounds like my battery - had the exact same experience except it was beyond toast: 39 cycles and 27% health... ehh

It would work for a bit and then spontaneously shut off, no warnings. Sounds a lot like the battery. My supervisor at the college help desk has the battery testing software - kinda wish I had it too lol. It was able to diagnose right away.

I would recommend coconut battery or something similar and if you want to get it confirmed officially, you can always visit a genius at the apple store.