power issues with MDD G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by lostless, Nov 21, 2007.

1. lostless macrumors 6502

Seeing if anyone has experienced this and solved it. I have a MDD first gen 867MHZ powermac. Few days ago, it refuses to power on at all. No lights, so sounds, nothing. The only way to boot it is to unplug it and then plug it back in, until next shutdown. Ive replaced the battery, reset the pmu, reset the pram. No go. Ive run out of ideas and need help. I just hope my PMU circuitry is not messed up.

2. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

It's been 4 years, but I remember this problem....

Had to take it into a repair facility and get the power source box replaced. What a bummer.

3. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502

AlexMaximus

Power supply check

Hi there,

I think you should check on the fans of your power supply. These are moving parts and most likely to go bad after a long usage. Open your G4 and switch on the computer to see if it powers up. If it powers up check on all fans if they run on correct speed and check if they do a wired sound or don't spin at all.
    In the open up configuration the fans should speed up after a minute because the cooling is poor with a open case.
    If your G4 doesnt power up at all, check the power supply. Smell it and check if you can detect an burning smell. Check on dust inside the fans.
    Clean the whole thing. Check on all power connections on the Mainboard that come from the power supply. Unplug it, check on the connectors and reseat the connectors. If nothing powers up spin the fans with you hand and hear if you can detect any unusual wear (stuck).
    Check your circut breaker for you powerline.

Good luck
    :apple: