Power light and remote problems

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by americanskiff, Mar 22, 2011.

1. americanskiff macrumors newbie

hello,
    I am new to the forum...but I have a problem and need some help:)

I installed a new hard drive in my macbook, its a 2,1 model. I had some problems installing the hard drive. These rubber things, I guess there to hold the drive in cam loose and got in the way. So I removed them. The mac works fine except now the power light on the front of the mac and the remote control do not work. I guess I probably knocked something loose.....

Any tips would be appreciated.

2. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

Did you take out the torx screws from the old drive and put them in the new drive? Those rubber things are there to help with vibration and hold the hard drive in place. If I am thinking of what you are trying to describe, the rubber sides have corresponding holes that the torx screws lay into to hold the hard drive in place.

Sorry I can't help you with the light and the remote, I dont have that model to look at.

3. americanskiff thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea I took the screws out of the sides of the old drive and installed them in the new drive onto the hard drive tray. I figured those rubber things where to help hold the drive in place, but it does still fit in there good without them.

4. americanskiff thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the link...but I didnt see anything on there about power light problems.

I got the new drive in and everything works fine...just not the light and remote:)

5. americanskiff thread starter macrumors newbie

I did see on that repair site how to remove the upper case. Maybe I will try that and then I can replace those rubber things and see what might be wrong with the power light.

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I believe that iFixIt covers everything and the power light and remote sensor are in there somewhere, just need to find which step covers it. Good luck.

7. eman macrumors 6502a

If you removed the rubber bumper, you could have torn the ribbon cable with the HD that goes to the light. If this is the case, to repair, you'll need to replace the lower case.

8. americanskiff thread starter macrumors newbie

That sounds possible. I didnt remove the rubber, when I slid the new drive in it wouldnt go all the way in. One of the rubber bumpers had fallin off when I removed the old drive and was in the way of where the hard drive plugs in. So I removed both of them

Getting the light to work isnt important enough to me to replace the cover though:) Ill remove the cover this weekend and look at the ribbon and everything going to the light.

Thanks for all the tips....