Power line conditioner for Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cosolin, Nov 18, 2013.

1. cosolin macrumors newbie

Seems our office has "dirty" power so we need to get a line conditioner to keep the airport extreme up and running. At first we thought the problem was with the Airport Extreme, and Apple replaced it, but now I've talked with other people in the building and have found out that other folks have similar problems and this might be the way to go.

So, looking for recommendations on equipment. We haven't experience power outages or apparent brownouts, just must be enough fluctuations in the power to kick the Airport Extreme out of whack and kill off our wifi in the office. The fix has been to restart it and all is good for a few hours or a couple days, but it's pretty annoying and you just never know when it's going to happen.

At a minimum I'd be plugging in an Extreme, an Express and a Wiebetech backup drive, but could also plug in a laser printer, an inkjet printer and a stereo receiver.

Thanks for any help.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have been happy with the UPS I bought by APC. They have a tool here you can click through to determine the size you need based on what you will be running/attaching. Find the model number you need then check Amazon or elsewhere for the best price.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

4. cosolin thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think an UPS will solve my problem because it don't think it will even kick on when I'm having my problem. I think I'm having just enough fluctuations in the power (voltage?) and the airport extreme is just sensitive enough that it throws the thing out of whack. UPS's are designed to kick in when power goes out, I don't think they are designed to clean or keep the power within a certain spec. That is what a line conditioner is designed to do. I may not be using the right term, but if you google it, you come up with a bunch of options that are not UPS's but some do incorporate UPS's into them.

5. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

APC is still a good brand to consider. Have a look at this range : http://www.apc.com/products/family/?id=67. I don't need one but I do have APC UPS units.

6. rkuo macrumors 6502a

You need something with AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulation).