Power Mac G3. Finder Fred Isn't Happy.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by epiccentury, Oct 9, 2008.

1. epiccentury macrumors newbie

Well, much to my disappointment, a power mac G3 I've been restoring fails to boot from the Hard Drive. I just installed OS X, 10.4.8 on it, and it's still giving me issues. I've pulled everything and started the comptuer with out Processor, RAM, GPU, and Hard Drive, just to clear it out. Then plugged everything back in.

It boots from the CD, but nothing else.

The computer was rebooting at the end of the OS X install and then wouldn't boot in to anything other then the disk.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Ok, so now the bloody thing boots in to the drive, but it goes to a screen I've never seen before just showing a kind of "no" sign. Just a circle with a line through it.

2. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

It could possibly need the firmware updated first, which has to be done in an OS under 8.6 I'm pretty sure.

3. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

That means it can't find the OS installation on your hard drive. Check all the connections to the hard drive inside the Mac are fine and retry. Perhaps an IDE cable needs replaced.

4. epiccentury thread starter macrumors newbie

Should Probably note....

I Should probably note that this is not the beige G3, but the Blue and White G3. It came with a 350MHz processor and that was replaced with a MAXpower G4 400MHz ZIF processor.

I've swapped RAM. That didn't do any thing for me.

UPDATE: Because I didn't post this until after I worked on it.

I pulled the drive and noticed I had the drive jumpers set to master instead of CS, and there was no slave on board. It doesn't like not having the slave present if the jumpers are set to Master, as where the G4's don't care.

Hopefully this will fix the problem permanently.

5. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

This thing will run 10.4.11 with 256^ram.
    Firmware here.

Good luck with the drive setting.

6. epiccentury thread starter macrumors newbie

Come on.....

So it will boot in to OS X now. The only problem is, several time's I've had to use the power button that's on the board.