Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
I have a Power Mac G4 gigabit (400 mhz) running OS X 10.3.9.

When the computer goes to sleep, either on its own or if i tell it to, when i wake it up, it does not recognize my mouse or keyboard. The goofy thing is, the mouse will wake it, but it still does not appear to have any input into the machine once OS X is up and running again.

I have tried it with a few different mice (wireless USB, USB, PS/3 via usb adapter) and it is the same result, nothing.

Does anyone have any advice to help?

Coco14

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2009
hey.....same exact thing has been happening to me. mouse moves on screen but no reaction whatsoever and i get zero response from the keyboard as well- this occurs only after leaving Mac for a while and it enters sleep mode. i literally have to turn off the Mac manually and start it back up again. what is causing this?? i am afraid to start any projects or i should say i am afraid to leave any projects open for more than five minutes! any advice would be greatly appreciated......:(

Coco14

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2009
can someone please help. i am guessing i will just need to trash this thing and buy a whole new Mac which i really do NOT want to do, but my back is against the wall here. :eek:

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
Possibly driver issue?

I was just thinking of this issue again. I still have not found a solution. A new thought came to mind though. Could this be a driver issue for the USB controller?

A little background: I bought the computer off craigslist as a fixer-upper. The guy installed OS X 10.3 for me before I bought it. While I want to think it was a legal, legit copy, I realize this is probably not the case. Since the machine wasn't running at the time, he said he installed the drive in a different computer to install the OS. Could it be possible that it just has the wrong driver installed for the USB controller?

(I am not a pirate by the way. This is has kept me from simply stealing a copy of either 10.4 or any other software for it, so please don't attack me for possibly running a pirated copy of OS X. Hey, it could be legit)

dr. shdw

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
I was just thinking of this issue again. I still have not found a solution. A new thought came to mind though. Could this be a driver issue for the USB controller?

A little background: I bought the computer off craigslist as a fixer-upper. The guy installed OS X 10.3 for me before I bought it. While I want to think it was a legal, legit copy, I realize this is probably not the case. Since the machine wasn't running at the time, he said he installed the drive in a different computer to install the OS. Could it be possible that it just has the wrong driver installed for the USB controller?

(I am not a pirate by the way. This is has kept me from simply stealing a copy of either 10.4 or any other software for it, so please don't attack me for possibly running a pirated copy of OS X. Hey, it could be legit)

This is possible.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
closure at last

OK, i know this thread is ancient, but i finally figured out my problem, and wanted to post closure in case anyone else has a similar problem and searches.

I just used Disk Utility to repair permissions on the boot disc and everything works like a charm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.