Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdhatfield3

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Searcy, AR
Ever since i updated to 10.3.8 i have had my computer freeze on me while im away. It seems to be if i leave applications running like iChat or Safari, but im not for sure about that. Before 10.3.8 i had a trouble free system and im not sure what the deal is. any help?

caccamolle

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2005
well you are not alone. Check on the Apple discussion forum. 10.3.8 has caused lots of problems to a number of people, in particular system crashes, I believe these days people talk about "kernel panic", whatever, fact is you've got to restart the whole thing. Very annooying, I had had my Mac on for ages w/o a glitch, until I upgraded to 10.3.8 and now I have a dead computer every third time or so that I wake it up from sleep. So, sorry no real help, but on the forum there are a bunch of suggestions. The reality is that there is a bug in this update, which affect only certain systems. I have read somewhere that 10.3.9 is around the corner, true or not I have no idea. Good luck

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
rdhatfield3 said:
Ever since i updated to 10.3.8 i have had my computer freeze on me while im away. It seems to be if i leave applications running like iChat or Safari, but im not for sure about that. Before 10.3.8 i had a trouble free system and im not sure what the deal is. any help?

Apple sucks. They break things with every OS update these days. If I could go back to 10.3.7 I would. I've had it happen twice now where the system basically crashes. The dock process hangs in a kernel context and won't even respond to a kill -9. The system won't let me reboot because it waits for the process to exit, so I end up having to hard power down. They've also ruined safari's popup blocking ability.

Steven

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Upgraded from 10.3.4 (the biz) to 10.3.8 recently with combo updater... G4 MDD 1.42 dual 2gb RAM, blah blah.

Major audio probs immediately and more kernal panics in the last two weeks than in the last 18 months...

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
10.3.8 has been a nightmare for me as well. I'd reinstall and go back to 10.3.5 if Tiger wasn't coming soon.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
Brize said:
10.3.8 has been a nightmare for me as well. I'd reinstall and go back to 10.3.5 if Tiger wasn't coming soon.

I hope these kernel panics get fixed with 10.3.9.

By the way... it seems it happens with certain mac models but not others... My system is in my signature.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
Soulstorm said:

By the way... it seems it happens with certain mac models but not others... My system is in my signature.

10.3.8 F'd my G5.

Firewire. Shot.
USB hardrive mounting. Shot.
Kernel panics. Check.

Generally this is the worst update I have ever dealt with.

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
Soulstorm said:

I have a Dual 2.0 G5 with 1GB of Apple RAM. By all accounts, I seem to have got off lightly, with only some fan, sleep and USB issues, but it's still frustrating. That's certainly the last time I update as a matter of course.

spiderlegs

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2005
As I wrote in the "start up lag" thread, it takes 20 minutes to log in to my G5 running 10.3.8. Excel now crashes Dreamweaver, and random programs stop working for seemingly no apparent reason.

I once had a G3 series laptop, that I upgraded from 8.5 to 9.0 to 9.3.3 (it had 8.5 loaded and I upgraded from there all at once). That 9.3.3 upgrade fried that poor G3 series laptop hardrive. Then I went to the Mac forums and it seemed like everyone who owned a G3 series laptop and upgraded to 9.3.3 killed their machines like I did with a simple upgrade.

This is beginning to look like Part 2 of that fiasco. Doesn't Apple thoroughly beta test their system upgrades? Don't they want more than 10% of the marketshare? Their customer service and user support is the poorest I've come across (they remind me of Sprint). They chased me to a PC when my laptop crashed, and I had no problems with Win2000 server.

If I have more problems with this upgrade, I'm going back to PC and not looking back. I thought Macs had worked out their bugs with OSX, but it seems like same ol' same ol'...and I'm not writing this to be inflammatory. I know many people are fiercely loyal to Apple and will be offended by the above statements. It's not intended to insult. From considering the evidence, it appears that 10.3.8 is a bad, bad upgrade and you can't go back unless you completely reinstall everything. In XP Service Pack 2, it comes with a rollback option just in case issues like the ones in this thread arise. OSX has no such provision, or am I wrong? I hope I'm wrong. How bad must things be when Windows shines where Mac fails?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.