Power Mac g4 Help ; ;

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Yakumo2897, May 14, 2009.

1. Yakumo2897 macrumors newbie

Yakumo2897

hey guys recently bought a g4 powermac 733mhz I added ram too it but no matter what i do it just beeps one time. I know that this means it is not regonizing the ram but I cant get it to not be or do anything else. The fans spin when i turn it on and the motherboard is getting power there is a red light, however I am not getting a display? I have check the battery with a volt meter it was good and have tried resetting the pmu no luck. At this point I think i am just going to replace the logic board.

Could a power supply kill a logic board?
    How do logic boards die?
    Is it hard to replace the logic board?
    Why is the plastic on the processor?

Thanks in Advance
    Yakumo

2. awmazz macrumors 65816

Basic question, but are you sure you've installed the correct type of RAM? G4 QuickSilvers take PC133 RAM.

Edit - dumb question as PC100 RAM should still work, but the later PC2100 RAM is 184 pin so won't even fit so such a mistake is impossible. So different question then, are you sure the RAM is good? Did you buy it used or new?

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

This might sound dumb, but was the RAM you added Mac compatible? Older Macs are really picky with memory timings. If the machine boots fine with the stock RAM, chances are that the logic board is fine.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

And low-density IIRC

5. Yakumo2897 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yakumo2897

yea make sure it was low density and mac compatible. One gets one beep no matter what i do. I have changed out the battery and reset the pram, really throwing me I have no idea why it isnt working. Fans spin, and cd rom drive spins there is a red light on the logic board. Im almost positive it is the logic board but i dont really know.
    it didnt have the stock ram when i bought i think the guy sold it to me know it was bad.

6. awmazz macrumors 65816

I'd be looking at testing other RAM with it first before concluding it's the motherboard. As CaptainChunk suggests, does it work with the stock RAM? But I assume it came with no RAM installed at all otherwise you would have tried that already?

7. awmazz macrumors 65816

Also, another basic thing, the single beep could just mean the RAM isn't seated properly so it's not reading it at all. Best to rule out even the most simplest things first before replacing the motherboard.

8. Yakumo2897 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yakumo2897

9. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

i'd add to what the other already posted. take out all the ram and blow out all 3 slots on the logic board with compressed air. pick one stick of ram, and only one stick, and start in slot one, try to boot, if not working move on to slot two, and then slot three.

if still no luck, pick a different stick and repeat. best of luck.

10. Yakumo2897 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yakumo2897

you guys are awsome it was the ram and i didnt have to replace the motherboard. Finally got some stock ram in there. ^_^ I do how ever have a new problem. I am going to make a new post about it.