Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stewnew2mac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2009
Okay i have just brought a power mac g4 the spec's are as follows

Apple Power Mac G4 With 500Mhz Processor

1GB MEMORY

160GB FORMATTED Hard Disk Drive

have purchased an install restore dvd version 10.2.7

have tried to install this but when i get to the part were you are asked to

select the hard drive you want to install to nothing shows

i have tried to use the first aid, format, were the hard drive is showing on

the left hand side with the dvd volume too it just goes to the install menu

if anyone can help please do !!!!

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
The install restore DVD will not work unless it is the one for that model;they are not generic. You will probably need t buy a retail version of Leopard or whatever. Alternatively you can buy fulfillment disks from Apple for about $20 each, which will get you back to whatever was on the machine when it was built. Also 500 mhz is not sufficient to run Leopard; it will not install without hacking.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
First off be sure you have the latest Firmware installed for your G4. It is necessary for 10.2 and above. The firmware must be installed from Mac OS 9.
PowerMac G4 Firmware Download Page: This page provides instructions for installing the update. It works for the G4 Cube, Sawtooth, Gigabit Ethernet and Digital Audio. Which applies for your model given the 500Mhz CPU.

The install problem is likely that the Mac OS X DVD is not seeing the partition map and the drive needs to be repartitioned. This will destroy any data on the hard drive.

Partitioning a Mac OS X (Jag) Boot Drive (Synopsis of instructions below)
When in Disc utility select the root of the hard drive in the left hand column. Then on the right select the partition tab. Change the "Volume Scheme" to one (or however many you need) and choose "Mac OS Extended" for the "Format". Then click the "Partition" button to repartition the hard drive.

Now the drive should show in the installation menu.

As for the disc needing to be Mac specific. I do not think it was as strict with 10.2. If it was meant for PowerMac's I think it works on all G4 PowerMac models.

Edit: If it the disc was rejecting your Mac model a dialogue would have popped up saying your machine is not compatible before allowing you to get to the disc choice window.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.