Power Mac G4 Installing Leopard Through usb HDD

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by aad4321, Apr 15, 2009.

1. aad4321 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have 2 MAC G4's and I just put new harddrives in them. The harddrives were formaly running windows. I have an img copy of Leopard and I was wondering how I could install leopard from a usb HDD. I am using a windows PC to transfer the files to the Harddive.... Do i just extract the cd image to the harddrive? Then once I boot up i see a folder with a ? i believe... How do i change the boot order so it will boot from the USB HDD?

Sorry i dont know a lot about mac.

Thanks!!

2. ZunePod macrumors regular

Is this a used version of Leopard ie. Has personal data stored within it?

Or is this just the retail version.

If it's the first instace you'll need to have it running on a machine and then use Firewire and target disk mode to transfer the whole thing.

If its the second instance: Firstly, it's illegal to have a reatil version of leoprd as an ISO Image, but secondly it needs to be burned to a DVD-RW and then installed on your machine via an Optical Drive.

3. aad4321 thread starter macrumors newbie

Its the second one. So you dont think that I can place the Leopard cd files to a HDD and boot off of it? How would i get into those boot settings anyway?

4. ZunePod macrumors regular

You need to burn it to a disc, its an ISO right?

5. aad4321 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah. Rather than waiting for DL's to come in the mail i will just ask a friend for the DVD. I may even just put tiger on it. Do you think i shoul do tiger or leopard on theese old things?

6. ZunePod macrumors regular

Leopard, better optimization.

7. GGGUUUYYY macrumors regular

What are the computer specs?

8. aad4321 thread starter macrumors newbie

NOO idea lol, i got them for free. thats why i want to boot them up.

9. sngx1275 macrumors regular

sngx1275

Probably should run Tiger.

But, I'm running Leopard on a G4 533 :) It can be done, but I did it more for the novelty, Tiger is probably going to run a lot better on a G4.

10. 11800506 macrumors 65816

I agree with going with Tiger. Depending on the specs, Leopard will run, but certain aspects may be a bit slow. Tiger will run better for sure however.

11. kahlil88 macrumors member

kahlil88

Tiger definitely runs better, but how fast is the CPU? I don't think Macs will boot from USB drives, but I have installed Leopard from an external FireWire hard drive by cloning the disc image to a partition. I think it's a brilliant idea because USB 2.0 and FireWire are faster than a CD, and you don't have to worry about the installer crashing because of scratches.

12. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy