Power Mac G4 MDD 1.25GHZ not booting

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Ih8reno, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

I recently came into possession of a 1.25GHZ MDD and tried to plug it in and see if it would boot. The mac's fans come on when plugged in and no chimes are heard. I have put ram in the machine, changed the graphics card and swapped hard drives and still the same behavior. Odd thing also it comes on by itself when plugged in. Anyone have any ideas?

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

With a non-booting MDD, I usually suspect a bad PSU, but you can still try a few things.

First of all, try a PMU reset if you haven't already.

Also, try booting with the door open-I know it's weird, but I've had MDDs that had issues booting with the door shut but not with it open.

I'd try pulling ALL the RAM and see if you get a tone/error.

Also, one last thing-dead or missing speakers are not unheard of on MDDs or other computers. I've written computers off prematurely for not chiming when in actuality they were fine but just had the speaker disconnected or missing.

3. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Well, I've tried the pmu reset, also pulled the battery. Door opened nothing changes, same thing when I plug it in the fans come on and that's all. I'm trying it now with no ram and I don't get any chimes or tones.

4. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

If it is powering on by itself as soon as you plug it in, that generally indicated power supply issues. The power supplies in these things are notorious, so I would look at that as my first suspect.

5. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Yeah, I was hoping it could be fixed. Odd that it has a Samsung power supply, the ones I have now or have owned in the past never had this unit.

6. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

It's a pain, but you can always swap in a known good PSU from another MDD.

7. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Yeah, only other one I have currently is my dual 1.42...not gonna change it. I'll figure out what to do with it later. Thanks!