Power Mac G4 MDD Heatsink

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by harrymatic, Jan 30, 2014.

1. harrymatic macrumors 6502

Hello,

I'm thinking about upgrading my MDD G4's processor to a dual 1.0GHz module. It's currently running a dual 867MHz, but the machine originally came with a single 1.0GHz. Will the stock heatsink (the one made from loads of stainless steel plates) provide adequate cooling?

I do not really want to replace the heatsink, as they are for some reason really expensive. I can however, add some 60mm fans behind it.

I am aware that my current motherboard has a 133MHz FSB and the processor I have in mind needs a 167MHz FSB to run at full speed, but my soldering skills are good and I'm happy modifying the board to run at full FSB speed.

Thanks.

2. archtopshop macrumors regular

The heatsink with the thin stainless steel slats came standard issue for the 1.25GHz Dual Processor FW800 MDD model. I have two of them and have never had any problems. It should work fine for a what you are planning to do.

BTW, a write-up with photos of your project would be great. :D

3. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I'd recommend taking a look at this if you ever decide you want to go beyond a dualie 1.0

4. harrymatic thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I'll order the new processor and report back with how it went.

5. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

The only time I saw a copper heatsink on a MDD was for the 1.42GHz. Was my easy way to tell!

6. harrymatic thread starter macrumors 6502

Managed to get a dual 1.33 GHz CPU board from an XServe for a good price - I'll do a full write up once it arrives.

I'm really looking forward to the much higher clock speed (going from dual 867MHz!) and the 2MB instead of 1MB L3 cache won't hurt either! :)

I really should look into getting a small fan to go between the heatsink and the back of the case. From what I've read, people say these processors run just cool enough to use my current heatsink. I finally got the CHUD tools nap mode working though, so that should come in handy as well.