Power Mac G4 Running Leopard has "Grey Screen" on startup.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Gawain, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Gawain macrumors newbie

This morning, my G4 refused to start up as usual. Instead, I got a grey screen. Here's what I've tried so far and the results:

Action: Started from DVD Install disk for Leopard to try an archive and install.

Result: No hard drive was recognized for an install, archive and install, or erase and install, i.e., no drives appeared at all in the "Select a Destination" window, just empty white space.

Action: Attempted safe boot (Command + Shift + V)

Result: Flashing Globe

Action: "Repair Disk" from Disk Utilities after starting from DVD Install disk for Leopard.

Result: Received "First Aid Failed" message. Error message read: "Catalog file entry not found for extent. Volume check failed."

I don't know what else to try and any suggestions are much appreciated, especially because I can't even get it to eject the install disk (the "eject" key does nothing and there's no manual eject button for this Power Mac). This is a work computer and not having it functional is pretty hobbling so. . .help!

Many thanks in advance.

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

What appears when you hold Option while booting?

It sounds like your drive has failed.

3. Gawain thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick response. When I did what you suggested, I got a blue screen with two buttons, one button has a circular arrow and the other has an arrow pointing to the right.

I have a feeling you're right about the hard drive. Ugh. I'm taking it to a licensed Apple tech this morning and I'll probably post the ultimate resolution up here so other folks with the same problem can see what might be the problem with their macs, too.

Thanks again. : )