Power Mac g4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Rafalski24, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Rafalski24 macrumors regular

Ok so I was just given a Power Mac g4 (mirrored door dual 1.25 GHz, 2GB RAM, and three internal drives). I want to use it as a media server. I just want to be able to have it download my torrents, share my media to my laptop and my roommates laptop (and be able to upload stuff from my laptop) and be able to use a a few drives time machine backups.
    I have ordered a usb 2.0 pci card and a FW800 pci card (these haven't come in yet). I just did a fresh install of 10.5 Server, but the permissions are acting weird. It won't let me move things around within an external drive that is connected to the built in fw400. It also won't let me upload to the drive from my macbook pro. The g4 is connected to a brand new airport extreme via gigabit. Finder prompted me for a password and accepts it but doesn't actually move anything.
    Not sure what is happening. I have given the account full access. It is an admin account. Any ideas. At this point I am thinking of just installing 10.5 non-server and using the built in sharing to that. Since I am not really using anything the server has to offer.

Thanks so much for any help.

2. dazey macrumors 6502

It sounds like the issue is that you have messed up permissions on the drive, changing to the desktop version won't help that. Have you tried selecting 'ignore permissions on this drive' for the volume?
    I have a similar machine I use as a server, runs a mirror raid photo library, vpn server and https download server. Great machines. I suggest that you get a sata card for it as well so that you can load it up with modern drives (I have a firmtek card and 4 drives in mine)

3. Rafalski24 thread starter macrumors regular